Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I had to send my mobile phone to the repair shop but when I

I had to send my mobile phone to the repair shop but when I collected it yesterday I had lost all my contacts .Is there any way of retrieving them?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Michelle :

Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

Michelle :

Please let me know that did you save your contacts on the sim or on the phone memory

Michelle :

when the mobile phone was sent in for a repair,it seems that the phone was reset to factory defaults which means all contacts were erased permanently

Michelle :

in case you have saved the contacts on sim and had taken out the sim before giving it for a repair, when you reinsert the sim, the contacts will show up automatically in your contact list

Michelle :

however if you had saved the contacts details on phone memory without backing up , after a reset done by repair shop, there is no possible way to retrieve the contacts

Michelle :

usually repair stores inform customers about data loss before performing a reset and hope this was communicated to you by them

Michelle :

let me know if you have any questions

Michelle :

i hope you understand that in case you have not backed up contacts information there is no possibility of retrieving them as the data got completely erased when a reset was done by the repair store.

Michelle :

in case you had backed up the contacts, you can use the same app to restore contacts with which you had done the backup

Michelle :

let me know if you have any questions

Michelle :

please click on a smiley face below to complete the rating if your question has been answered; else let me know if you have any more queries

Michelle :

thanks for choosing just answer

Customer:

I was under the impression that my contacts were saved on my SIM

Michelle :

when you save your contacts , it gives you an option as to where you want to save it sim or phone memory

Michelle :

when you sent the phone in for repair was the sim in the phone or you had taken it out

Customer:

It was taken out and put in the loan phone.

Michelle :

ok...so on your loan phone when you inserted the sim, were the contacts showing up

Customer:

No

Michelle :

that means that contacts were not saved on sim but on phone memory itself

Michelle :

in case they would have been on sim , the contacts would have shown up automatically on any phone the sim gets inserted to

Michelle :

as the phone was reset the phone memory got wiped off thereby permanently erasing all contacts information

Michelle :

usually repair stores do inform you about data loss...i hope you were informed about it

Michelle :

however please try this

Michelle :

Contacts -> Menu -> Import/Export -> From SIM to Phone

Michelle :

in case there are any contacts on sim, they should get transferred in case the phone did not pick them up automatically

Customer:

Well there isn't any thing else to be done. No chance of a refund since you didn't retrieve my contacts.

Michelle :

did you try the menu options i gave above

Michelle :

Michelle :

in case still no contacts show up then unfortunately the data has been permanently deleted

Michelle :

please understand that for data loss issues in which a backup has not been done, there is no way data can be restrieved. i will only be bale to give you steps to retrieve data if you have backed up data

Michelle :

let me know if you have any questions

Customer:

I have tried but to no avail.

Michelle :

have you ever connected the phone to a computer for transferring data

Customer:

Y esI did that before I sent the phone to be repaired

Michelle :

ok so did you transfer data from phone to computer

Michelle :

did you copy the contacts on to the computer

Customer:

No I just transferred the data. I didn't know that I had to transfer the contacts separately.

Michelle :

yes the contacts too had to be transferred

Michelle :

just to be sure, can you check on your computer where you have saved the phone data if you see any file by the name of contacts

Customer:

All the files are just named my phone photos

Michelle :

that means you did not backup your contacts

Michelle :

in such a case we cannot get the contacts back as they are notsaved anywhere anymore to be restored back

Michelle :

if you had backed up the contacts on the computer, i could have shared the steps to transfer them back but since its not the case, you will have to now manually add the contacts on your own

Michelle :

let me know if you have any more questions

Michelle :

i see you have rated Bad service but please let me know that if the data was not backed up and repair store did not intimate you about it my scope of support gets limited in this case

Michelle :

had the date been backed up, i would have shared the steps or else would have assisted you via remote access to transfer the content to your phone

Michelle :

i would appreciate if you would consider re-rating my service as in your case the repair center should have ideally backed up all data or informed you about it before going in for a reset and in such a case please do not rate me negatively for a service neglect done by repair center

Michelle :

thanks for your understanding on this

Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors