Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My kindle went into washing machine accidentally this morning.

My kindle went into washing machine accidentally this morning. A minute or two into the washing cycle I realised what had happened and switched the washing machine off. The kindle has been on a warm shelf all morning and at lunch time a message appeared telling me my kindle needs repair. Can you please help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
This can now be an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.
Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.
Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing has happened. A message shows on my kindle telling me that repair is needed. I held the power button for over 35 seconds but it did not switch off and the message remains. I then put the charger on but nothing happened.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Anne
It is the internal memory that was shorted in the washer either via water or a hard thump
We have ruled out any other causes for this.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Kindle to have the main board repalced (which houses the memory).As they wont see what caused this (unless it has any cracks from this ?) it will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. I just advise to not mention the whole thing with the washing machine. But it has to go in to have this done.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.