Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

...... My Wife's Kindle has developed

Hello ......my name is Steve
My Wife's Kindle has developed a fault. I am not sure what is causing the screen to be messed up.
The bottom half of the screen saver comes up fine but the top half is completely blurred.
The kindle is fully charged but I see a word in the upper part which reads Empty.....
My Wife has only read one book since she had had the unit...............any ideas?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Please press and hold down the power button for 25-30 seconds until the Kindle restarts or asks for Shutdown. If it asks for Shutdown then please shut down the device and power it back on

If that does not work, then please respond back and let me know so I can continue to troubleshoot.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again Josh

Followed your initial guidance but there has been absolutely no change. It's wierd that the bottom half of the screen functions but the top half is all blurred.

Should I try again or do you suggest something different?

Steve

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Steve,

Try plugging in your Kindle and while it is plugged in, hold down the POWER BUTTON for 40 seconds. Leave the Kindle plugged in for 5 minutes and try again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Josh

The machine stated that it was turning off. I tried again after 5 minutes but in all the time it was turned off the screen upper half did not clear. I see now that there is a band (about an inch wide) covering about two thirds down.

Not sure what has created that now.

Steve

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
How old is the Kindle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Josh

It's two years old.

My Wife took it away on holiday for the first time on a cruise about 18 months ago. She read one book and it has been in the drawer since her return - unused. She is now ready to use it again on a forthcoming overseas trip.

Would it still have some form of guarantee?

Steve

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
If the above steps did not work then there is a hardware issue with your Kindle.

Since you are outside of the warranty period (1 year warranty) Kindle will probably not issue a replacement but they normally give great discounts for a current Amazon customer to upgrade to the Kindle Fire.

In SOME cases they will grant the 1 year warranty for a customer and give you a replacement. That is completely up to Amazon and is on a case to case basis that I have no control over.

Please call Amazon here ---> 1-866-321-8851

Let them know that your Kindle has hardware issues and you need a replacement
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Josh - It would appear that we have got a dude machine and that the whole thing has come to the end of its life before my wife has had a chance to get the real benefit from it. So much for this Xmas present!!!!

Steve

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Steve,

Sorry about the bad news! If you can take a minute and use the rating system below to rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Josh

Just a short reply to say thanks for the follow up.

On speaking with Amazon direct they kindly offered to upgrade and replace the Kindle for a much smaller fee.

I can say that within a week the new unit has arrived and will be ready to go on our forthcoming holiday.

Many thanks for all your help & guidance.

Steve