Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

my Toshiba laptop starts up then sign in then the welcome screen

Customer Question

my Toshiba laptop starts up then sign in then the welcome screen comes up and wont go passed it I have windows vista
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Please start or restart the laptop. As soon as you see the Toshiba logo begin tapping the F8 key. You should be brought to a black screen with several startup options. From that menu, using the arrow keys, choose Safe Mode and see if that will get you back in to Windows.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried that

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
What happened? Were you able to select Safe Mode or did you never make it to the screen that gave you the startup options? The F8 key needs to be tapped on before Windows starts or you'll wind up back at the Welcome screen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tapped safe mode it went into safe mode back to sign in then welcome screen for 2 hours and nothing

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes tried that tapped onto safe mode but it didn't say it safe mode just got me back to sign it then welcome screen for 2 hours again

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
From the startup menu have you selected Last Known Good.......?
If not, please try that option.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes tried that

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Babs. Do you have a Vista recovery or installation disk?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no its old computer its mislaid

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me the full model number of the laptop? For example: Satellite 855-S275 or something similar.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Toshiba Europe gmbh dc19 3.9 the rest is rubbed out I have a dell reinstallation dvd for windows vista

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Let's try a bit differently first. Shut down the laptop.
Once it's off hold down the 0 (zero) key and while holding and continuing to hold, press the power button. If the recovery partition is intact you'll be able to restore the laptop that way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it sayds choose operating sytem or press tab to select a tool its a satellite l350

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Choose operating system - Vista
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

says start windows normally

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

Is that the only option? Is there any option that mentions Factory Default Software or
out-of-box condition? Start Windows normally if that's your only option.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no just sai select a tool or tab I go back to it to see what others it said

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Please do. By holding down the 0 key at startup the goal is to enter the Toshiba System Recovery environment. Do you see any mention of Recovery on any of the screens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no just windows memory diagnostic or press 8

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Here's something else to try. Start the machine tapping F8. Choose the Safe Mode with Command Prompt option and let me know if you can make it to the black screen with the blinking prompt the begins with C:\Windows\System32>
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

theonly way I can shut down computer is to take battery out no prompt but lots of windows system 32 files flashing up screen saying welcome now preparing my desktop so cross fingers im waiting to see whats next

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. You should eventually end up with a black screen with a blinking prompt preceeded by C:\Windows\system32. If you get there I'll have you enter a command to begin a system restore. I have my fingers crossed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

got there its blinking prompt windows system 32

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Great. At the prompt type: rstrui.exe and press Enter. This will launch System Restore. It may not start immediately so please give it some time. When the window does open click Next. Select a restore date before the problem began. Put a checkmark in the box labeled
Show Restore points older than 5 days if needed.
Click Next
Click Finish.
Once the restore has completed and the computer restarted you should be able to log in normally.
-
Please let me know if you need more clarification. I will always do my best to answer your question. Your satisfaction is my top goal. If you are not satisfied with the answer I provide, for any reason, please allow me to continue to help you (or recommend you for another expert or refund) rather than giving a negative rating. A positive rating is always appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

saysytem restore does not appear to be functioning correctly its says (0x8004238

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

Can you restart the machine and try it once more just in case this was an anomaly?
If you still get the same error the Dell Vista installation disk should work. I have one I've used in the past on a HP machine. Put the disk in the drive, shut down the laptop, start it up again and begin tapping the F12 key when you see the Toshiba logo. You should be brought to a startup menu. Using the up/down arrow keys select CD/DVD and press enter. This should begin the Vista installation.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your help

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome. Where are you at now in the process?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this time it brought me to safe mode screen I opened start and located restore system and it said the same it does not seem to be functioning so shall I now put restore disc in and shut down computer

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Yes, as that is the only option at this point. Put the disk in the drive and hold down the power button until it turns off. Turn it on and begin tapping the F12 key to invoke the startup menu. Use the up/down arrow keys to select CD/DVD and press Enter. The laptop should boot from the disk and begin the Vista installation.
At this point please see this article on repairing a Vista installation:
-
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-vista-startup-repair.htm
-
It has 9 pages so at the bottom of each page click the arrow to advance to the next page. If you can do a repair, as opposed to a re-install, it will save a whole lot of time consuming work. A re-install should be the last option used.
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon, Babs. Were you able to repair the Vista installation so that you can now startup to your desktop normally? Please let me know when you have a moment.