Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Do know/remember anything about the Packard Bell Smart TV 32?

Do know/remember anything about the Packard Bell Smart TV 32? The Packard Bell Smart TV S320 Pentium D 820 400GB PC is basically a tv/pc combo that went on sale in late 2006. I bought one in 2007 for a cut price as it was never that popular but started experiencing numerous blue screen error messages before an electrical fault, which I believe to have been the PSU packing-up, caused me to put it to one side. I'm interested in resurrecting it but wanted to know components wise, whether it is upgradeable. The upgrade would look at m/board, cpu, hdd, ram & obviously a new psu. Is this possible considering the enclosure is a tv casing unit which by today's tv casings is pretty bulky but a tv casing nonetheless? Would really appreciate a reply as there is an opportunity to buy another used unit & would like to use it for parts if necessary.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Blue screen error can be either the PSU or the Mainboard
If you can source the parts, they can be replaced, but it will be a challange to find these parts as I could see none available online.
For a 32inch LCD I would advice against trying to resurrect it, the costs and effort in the end would outweigh purchasing a replacement smart TV which your going to be able to get for a few hundred pounds these days.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
I see that you have left me a poor rating, instead of continuing to communicate with me.
Was that a mistake? I am really confused by this type of response.
Please, let me know how else, I can be of assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard,

Sorry I took so long to respond about my "poor service" rating.

I was looking for a review from www.yasni.info about the Packard Bell Smart TV S320 Pentium D 820 400GB PC written in November 2006.

(Please see the url: DANGEROUS URL REMOVED%2Freviews%2Faudio-visual%2Ftelevisions%2Fplasma-and-lcd-tvs%2Fpackard-bell-smart-tv-32-109310%2Freview&name=Bell+Smart&showads=1&lc=en-gb&lg=en&rg=gb&rip=gb).

The review by TechRadar includes the quote, "Despite fitting neatly inside a TV shell that's only slightly bigger out back than you'd expect, the PC uses mostly standard PC components, so upgrading the memory, processor, hard disc or graphics shouldn't be too hard."

The above being the case, I was hoping you would be able to give an expert estimation on the type of hardware (hdd, cpu, ram, psu, sound & graphics cards etc) that I could expect reasonably to upgrade towards? Perhaps you are not familiar with the Smart TV S320 to provide that sort of information(?).

If that is the case, do you have an idea on who would be able offer expert advise on inventory?

Regards,

Olson.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
the parts to upgrade are not available. I am not going to speak on behalf of a review but you cannot just use computer parts for this. A motherboard and PSU for a computer is made for a computer, not for running a TV. Its not how components work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So am I right in saying that you are suggesting the hardware components for the Packard Bell Smart TV S320 Pentium D 820, cover the PC and TV aspect of the unit together? Hence why the product is not upgradeable? (Or is it just that they are just obsolete and existing m/boards, cpu's, etc would not fit and are not appropriate?)

If it helps, I do know the product has the following specifications:

• Aspect Ratio: 16:9

• Bluetooth: No

• Brand of Graphic Chip: ATI

• Chipset Brand: unknown

• Chipset Type: unknown

• Clock Speed in MHz: 2800

• DVD Writer: DVD Writer

• Digital Entertainment Platform: ViiV

• GPU Model (Graphic Card): RADEON X1300

• Hard Disc Capacity in MB: 400

• Hyper Threading: No

• Intel Centrino Technology: No

• Intel Processor: PENTIUMD

• Media Centre Edition: Yes

• Number of Cores: 2

• Number of Processors: 2

• Processor Brand: Intel

• Processor Number: 820

• RAM in MB: 1024

• Rack Server: No

• Remote Control: Yes

• Screen Size in Inches: 32

• TV / Radio Card: TV Card

• TV Output: Yes

• True Resolution: WXGA

• Type: Desktop

• Video Editing Card: No

• Wireless LAN: Yes

Olson

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the specs, I know it though for this, they are obsolete thats what I initially said. Getting the parts now nearly 7 years after the production was stopped is near impossible. I initially searched for it for you but found no compatible parts.
And what I was initially saying is with the price of smart TV's these days, even if you can source the parts, it is not going to make sense cost wise to purchase them and have them installed. In addition to the fact you would only get a short if any warranty on this, the cost would outweigh purchasing a new smart TV. They are that much cheaper these days.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well thanks Richard,

I think we have exhausted this. At least I am clearer about the prospects of upgrading.

Appreciate your help,

Olson.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
your welcome Olson
Is there anything else I can do for you? I would like the opportunity to convert the poor rating to one more positive. Can you tell me what more you would like from me to achieve this?
Or you feel I have provided a poor service?
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry