Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I recently bought "Driver Updates" (Order No 32-1649781) from

Customer Question

I recently bought "Driver Updates" (Order No 32-1649781) from you and installed the 3no drivers advised yesterday.
The effect of these new drivers is that the screen of my computer does not show the buttons contolling mini/maximum and exit buttons as well as items like History located on the right hand side of the screen. How can I retrieve the missing section?
Also, a Scrabble game on Desktop no longer works.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
We do not sell Driver Update here, we are a technical support desk.
The program you actually installed will cause more harm then solve anything.
Can I ask, what problem were you trying to solve when you purchased it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I received an e-mail from AVG based in Holland who asked if I wanted to update my Drivers. I agreed and paid £17+ and received an e-mail back telling me to download the latest drivers which I did.

Please note that I agreed to restore my original drivers.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, that's a scam George, it is not from AVG and it is not needed for your computer.
When did you do all this so I can work with you to undo the damage
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The e-mail from AVG Holland was received at the end of January 2015 but I did not download the drivers until yesterday.

You say it was a scam but it all seemed legitimate at the time.

Please note that I am 76 years old and no computer expert so bear with me.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It is, it does nothing about the drivers George, I deal with it everyday this is why you now all have these problems.
You are best to do a system restore to undo all of this.
To do the restore, click start and type in
system restore
press enter
Follow the steps to perform a restore choosing a date before you installed drivers.
Let it complete and Scrabble should now work as should the buttons appear.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you please go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download in the top right.
Go down to "TeamViewer Quicksupport"
Click on Download and download and run the program.
It will give you an ID and a Password.
Please give me the ID (leave a space between each character eg: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9) and the password ***** your next message to me here.
Do not close the program, but leave it open.
I can then connect to your computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The ID given is:- 5 6 1 3 0 9 0 0 8

Password ***** *****

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard,

Your attempt re System Restore did not complete successfully and so my computer system settings were not changed.

The note my computer received suggested you might like to try again and choose a different restore point.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, can you repeat the process and choose the second last restore point in the list.
click start and type in
system restore
press enter
And follow the onscreen steps.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As you know I was working with Additional Help and he attempted to amend System Restore by taking control of my computer. As I paid extra for his help should he not make this second attempt?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, no problem at all George,
Please run the program Teamviewer again and provide me the password ***** connect please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Password ***** ***** same as before:- 8236

Also ID is as above e-mail

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
connected
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard,

TeamViewer tried again to restore my settings but to no avail.

My ID and Password ***** as before.

What happens now?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
connected again
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
you closed the program George and disconnected me
But it appears its your monitor at fault, as the X in the top right is there to close the browser.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard,

I did not disconnect you but TeamViewer took over and I lost you.

TeamViewer also came to the same conclusion as you.

My monitor is less than a year old and up to yesterday it showed a normal full screen......now it does not so I still need to sort this out......what to do?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Have it replaced under warranty.
I was seeing the X in the top right, so the problem is not software related and points to the monitor not displaying the entire screen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there no way to reduce the size of the page to fit my monitor screen?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I was seeing it correctly, but you can right click on the desktop then choose Screen Resolution.
Then change it there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tried changing the Screen Resolution but only three settings and the only correct one is the middle one which is what I am set to anyway.

What perturbs me is that the correct view on the monitor was OK before downloading the drivers so why can we not make it revert to those settings.

Going back to the retailer after nearly a year of the monitor working OK is not going to go down well with them. Do you not agree?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It does not matter what goes down well with them, they have to honor the warranty.
Its simple, on your computer I see the X in the top right, you do not, it can only be a fault then with the monitor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard,

OK - I will go and see what they say.

Been quite a marathon hasn't it........can't say it has been resolved as yet can I until I speak to them.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Well I got you back to how you were working with Chrome and Sky , the only thing now is to get the monitor check so you can see the X in the top right.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK - will sign off for now.......could be Monday/Tuesday before I can take the monitor back.

Many thanks for your efforts so far.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome
But take it in with the computer as they need to see why you cant see the X