ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  15 years as a professional computer technician.
56108293

Most of my new aol emails and two year's worth of old emails

Customer Question

Most of my new aol emails and two year's worth of old emails simply disappeared and so has Google, which I now cannot access. Also, when I try to access any site on Firefox it goes automatically to Amazon. What's happening and is there anything I can do about it?
Category: Computer
Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
ChrisC :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today!

ChrisC :

It sounds like you might be having a variety of issues here.

ChrisC :

Let me ask, how would you feel about me connecting to your computer remotely and assisting with this so we can figure it out together

ChrisC :

You ofcourse can observe and can disconnect me at any time

ChrisC :

I believe this will probably be the best way to troubleshoot this.

ChrisC :

Just reply to me and let me know and we can set it up!

Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Go ahead and connect remotely. And while you're at it, maybe you know why I couldn't use my main email address when Just ask asked for it, saying it was used by another member??? Anyway, access as and when you like.

Val

Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
Ok I will need you to help set it up.
First thing go to this website (click here to open)
Click "Join remote control session"
It is going to ask you to run a file. Do that
After running it some codes will come up on your screen. An ID and password. Just reply to me with those codes and I can get connected.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I clicked on 'run the file' but it didn't run and no codes came upl.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
Hmm ok. Lets try a different route.
Go to your start menu and choose all programs
Select "Internet Explorer"
In the new internet window go to http://www.teamviewer.com
Then click on join remote control session and try running the file again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't run internet explorer

Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
I understand but all Windows computers come with Internet Explorer. It should be there. It actually cannot be uninstalled :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, I'll have a go. Is there any way to keep all these windows viewable, by the way. They disapper soon as I reply. Ta.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
You should be able to just leave them open. When you open Internet Explorer it should not affect these windows.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As soon as I click on 'reply to expert' up comes a 'start your free trial now screen' and our conversations disappear! Aargh.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
You can ignore the trial for now and just say no thank you. I am sorry about that. Also, if you open your email you should get an email with each reply as they come through.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I'll have to pass and just live with the problem, as when I clicked on Internet Explorer it said this page is not viewable, or words to that effect. As I said, I can't get Internet Explorer for whatever reason. This is hopeless. May I have a refund now?

Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
I can ofcourse process a refund but honestly i think I know whats going on here. It sound like you need a virus scan. Do you have any virus software installed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, Norton, and it scans automatically. But I can run it again.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
I would definetely do that. I also would recommend running a second program (if we can get it installed). It is called Malware Bytes and the free version can be found here:

Click Here
The download will start automatically.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I clicked, the 'free' version actually isn't - you have to register and pay. So didn' t follow through.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
Did the Norton Scan find a
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It found 13 somethings and fixed them. The 'free' malware found 113, but would only fix 15 for free. Clicked on OK and got the sad face icon, couldn't connect to Google so the 15 went un-fixed too.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
Ok I believe we should now reboot after Norton has fixed the 13 infections.
I firmly believe you have infections at this point that is causing everything.
Please reboot and then try your browsers again. If it is still nto working right let me know.
Ther program i directed you to is free. I think probably what happened here is the virus redirected you to a different program that is not free. I can walk you to it a different way.
We are for sure closing in on the issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well, the reason I didn't get your emails is that aol sent them straight to Spam. I will now reboot and get back to you.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
Great! Just let me know!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've now got into the free malware and it's downloading - slowly. Hopefully this will help, but I doubt it will get back all my missing emails. That's still a mystery.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
Well I believe if we can get the viruses cleaned up we can atleast look into that further at that point
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's taken awhile to clean up everything, but Norton and Malware seem to have completed whatever needed doing. I'll be in touch tomorrow if that's OK and see if we can find my missing emails.

Thanks for your help,

Val

Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good! thank you for hanging in there! I should be on a good bit tomorrow