Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

I have forgotten my password.I have a windows vista system.Please

I have forgotten my password.I have a windows vista system.Please help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 2 years ago.

Hello Francis! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. What's the model of your vista computer?

What kind of password ***** ***** such as computer login password, email password, wi-fi / wireless password, etc.?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Inspiron 1525. Computer login password.
Does it show your name or a user name at the password ***** login screen?

Is it okay to reset the computer, so you can re-set it up fresh with a new password ***** want?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It shows my surname.I'm prepared to reset it if it's simple enough to do as I am not all that technically minded
I will go through the steps with you, so don't worry. By the way, do you have the Windows Vista disk or operating system disk or restore / recovery disk? Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I do not.

That's okay. Please try this:

1. Turn off the Inspiron 1525 computer.
  2. Turn it back on, then right away, keep tapping the key F8 quickly and repeatedly until you got a menu.
  3. Then if there is the option Repair Your Computer, then use the down arrow key to select it, then press Enter key.
  4. If prompted for username / password, try each username it shows and leave the password *****
  5. Continue with the Dell Factory Image Restore.

That is just one possible solution. Please let me know, so I can provide another solution if it does not work. Please reply back. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Completed stages 1-3 but at stage 4 I was asked for a password ***** could not get any further.
Sorry, does it let you select another username?

The easiest solution is to obtain a restore / recovery disk from Dell.

Otherwise, you can burn a windows password ***** disk. Are you communicating with me on another computer? If yes, is it a windows or mac computer?
, and does that computer have a cd/dvd writer / burner? and do you know how to burn a blank cd disk?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no mention of selecting another user name apart from administrator or guest.i am currently using an Apple IPad.
I'm sorry, in order to fix / reset the password ***** you would need to borrow a working windows computer temporarily that has a cd/dvd writer / burner, then you can burn the password ***** program to a blank cd disk. Or would you like to request Dell to mail you the Operating system / recovery disk to you? Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can probably borrow another computer from a family member.
When can you borrow another computer with a cd/dvd writer / burner (and get a blank CD disk also)? Would you like me to provide the instructions now, so you can try later when you get another working computer? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would welcome the instructions please.
Here are the instructions: From a working computer with a cd/dvd burner/writer, can you download and save the file below, then burn it as an image to a blank cd disk:

http://wikisend.com/download/120132/cd110511.iso

If needed, you can use the free ImgBurn program to burn as image:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_imgburn

- Then boot it from the cd/dvd drive on the dell laptop, then follow the steps in the video at the website below to reset the password:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWnV5SM7iS0

Reference:
http://www.pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome. If there is any issue, please get back to me any time, so I can help further. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
O.K.