Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My computer has an internet connection obviously as I am using

My computer has an internet connection obviously as I am using it now but can't get internet connection for my Kindle Fire HD. the signal icon at top right corner has a cross on it. How can I get back on please?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.
Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.
Release, then connect the charger and turn on the Kindle and tell me if it now has internet please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Done what you said. Now asking for a sign-in. This is what happened before and it wouldn't accept any of my passwords etc. Icon in top right still has the cross through it. Now it is saying this information is currently unavailable and asking me to retry. Anne

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Anne
This is for connecting to the wireless?
Or to your Amazon account?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am trying to connect to BBC I player, so presumably it is trying to connect to wireless. Also happens when trying to download films, or items from the store.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, slide from the top show Quick Settings, and then tap Wireless.
Verify that Airplane Mode is Off.
Next to Wi-Fi, tap On.
Tap your network to connect to it
What then happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry cant find quick settings!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You dont find it, you slide from the top of the screen and it displays the quick settings.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK done that all ok - now asking me for bt id which should be my email address and my password. Tried this loads of times yesterday and it wouldnt accept anything. will try again. No it didnt work. Perhaps I just need a new password.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Its the wireless password, check on the BT Hub and it will be on a lable marked as the wireless key
This is what you need to enter
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, nothing doing. Did this countless times yesterday still saying check you have entered your username/password *****

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, I need to know, is it asking for a username AND password, or just the Password
and you get this when you try to connect TO the wireless as per my instructions or it is now connected to wireless?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is asking for BT ID and it says" usually your email address" which I have entered and also password ***** I have entered the wireless key as you suggested. Right at top of page it says wifi - you are connected to a BY wi-fi hotspot. So why can't I get any further? Going back to my settings, it says signal strength good and that I can cancel, forget or connect, but when I press connect it just says "authentication failed".

It is now asking me to sign in. when I go to the next step I am just back to the same page asking me to log in and asking for the NT ID and Password. I am just going round in circles.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, its hard to see what your doing as you have mentioned quite a few different things.
Lets start again
Hold the power to off on the Kindle for 35 seconds, then release.
Then turn on the Kindle.
Then do nothing but tell me please.
I can also do these steps for you on your computer so we can do it together and I can get all the password ***** you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you please go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download in the top right.
Go down to "TeamViewer Quicksupport"
Click on Download and download and run the program.
It will give you an ID and a Password.
Please give me the ID (leave a space between each character eg: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9) and the password ***** your next message to me here.
Do not close the program, but leave it open.
I can then connect to your computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have downloaded and run the programme. No sign of ID or password. Getting very stressed. My granddaughter arriving shortly and urgently needs to use the computer. Think I will have to call it a day. Thanks for your help but am really no further forward than yesterday. I am in my late sixties and I really need someone to talk to about the problem. Will call in to a local store where I can speak to a real person. thanks Richard - Anne.