Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

Richard I have ordered some books from Amazon but my kindle

Customer Question

Hi Richard I have ordered some books from Amazon but my kindle has not received them and says that I do not have a Wi-Fi connection. Our Wi-Fi is working with other devices.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Michelle :

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

Michelle :

Please check if your router is working fine by loggin in to the internet using another device like a computer or a laptop

Michelle :

when you are sure the internet is working fine on that device then you try the steps given next on the Kindle.

Michelle :

Press and hold down the power button on the kindle for 35 to 40 seconds and not less than that.

Michelle :

wait for 3 mins and then power on the kindle

Michelle :

let it boot up fine

Michelle :

after few mins try to check if you get internet access on your kindle or not

Michelle :

if no then

To connect your kindle to a Wi-Fi network:
Press the Home button, then press the Menu button.

Navigate to "Settings" by moving the 5-way controller down, then press the 5-way controller to select.
Select "view" next to "Wi-Fi Settings" to display a list of detected Wi-Fi networks. You may have to wait a moment as your Kindle detects networks in range. Kindle automatically scans for available Wi-Fi networks at periodic intervals. To rescan for available networks at any time, select "rescan."
Select "connect" to connect to a network. If you see a lock symbol next to "connect," the network requires a password ***** connect.
If necessary, enter the Wi-Fi network password, and choose "submit." Press the Symbol key to enter numbers or characters not present on the Kindle keyboard.
Once you are connected to a Wi-Fi network, Kindle automatically connects to it again whenever that network is in range. If more than one previously used network is in range, your Kindle automatically connects to the network that was most recently used.

Tip: Once your Kindle connects to a Wi-Fi network, that network displays "forget" next to it in the list of available networks. Selecting "forget" disconnects your Kindle from that Wi-Fi network and also prevents Kindle from automatically connecting to it in the future.

Michelle :

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley below and hit submit. Please don't rate negatively Instead reply me so that i can continue to help you answer you question further.

Michelle :

JACUSTOMER-hy1d846o- :

Hi Michelle

Michelle :

please let me know if you have any question

JACUSTOMER-hy1d846o- :

I have gone through the "Settings", then "Wi-Fi Networks" "view" instructions. The message reads "Available Wi-Fi Networks (0), Network: not connected. But my laptop is receiving emails and the router shows a good signal. Is it possible to by-pass the laptop to kindle Wi-Fi connection by using a wire connection between the laptop USB and the kindle? (I've had to do this between the laptop and the printer because the chip in the printer was knackered).

Michelle :

have you tried the steps i have listed above

JACUSTOMER-hy1d846o- :

Yes, but the kindle is not detecting any available networks at all. It is therefore not possible to connect to a network.

Michelle :

please turn off router..wait for 1 minute..then turn on router and try the above steps again

Michelle :

the router should show up this time

Michelle :

let me know the status once done

JACUSTOMER-hy1d846o- :

I have turned off the router and the kindle, waited for 1 minute, turned them both on and repeated the steps. The kindle still says "available: Wi-Fi Networks (0)".

JACUSTOMER-hy1d846o- :

Are you still there? Hello?

Michelle :

looks like a problem with the wifi withing the kindle. To fix the problem of the wifi we will have to reset the kindle to factory settings in that case all your books will be deleted or will be lost. I would suggest you to backup the data by connecting the kindle to a computer using the usb cable

Michelle :

once you have backed up then you follow the factory reset steps on the kindle which will bring back the wifi services back.

Michelle :

Wifi Issues - If you have Wifi problems on your Kindle, try resetting it. We have actually seen wifi issues being fixed through a reset.

Michelle :

Please remember rating is only required when we are finished fixing the problem.
Use the reply to expert button to continue the conversation further.

Michelle :

check this link: http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-Kindle-Fire

JACUSTOMER-hy1d846o- :

Ok I will try that. I don't have the cable available but I will try it when I can.

JACUSTOMER-hy1d846o- :

thanks for your help

Michelle :

incase you find any problem feel free to ask as many times you want.