Jerry Hannell
Jerry Hannell, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Experience in Windows environment. ASP, Visual Basic, Ajax
14934061

I use a computer running Windows XP, as I have a suite of programs

I use a computer running Windows XP, as I have a suite of programs which I use for my work as a Structural Consulting Enginner. This suite of programs was written in GWBasic and cannot therefore be run under Windows 7 on my 64-bit computer.
The programs were originally to included all the print codes for a Laserjet III printer. Afre my printer gave up and I was unable to replace it except with a secondhand Laserjet 4. Last year this failed. Then I happened to try plugging this in to the parallel socket on the back of my HP Laserjet 2550L. I was delighted to find that it work well. So I dumped the Laserjet 4. Last week I thought I would clear out the obsolete drivers from my computer. In doing so I removed the driver which controlled the parallel port.
I have reloaded the HP Universal PCL 5 driver from the HP site. However I get no response from the computer. Can you tell me how to get the connection to work please?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jerry Hannell replied 2 years ago.
***** *****nell :

Hello sir/madam, I would like to help you, please let me know when you are ready.

Customer:

***** *****nell :

hi, are you using the computer in question?

Customer:

No, but I could switch to it, although that means closing this and opening the browser on the other one.

***** *****nell :

we will install a driver, that should fix the parallel port problem

***** *****nell :

by the way, when did you remove the driver?

***** *****nell :

(we can also try a system restore to bring the driver back)

Customer:

Good! Do you want to take control on the other machine?

***** *****nell :

yes, we can do it

***** *****nell :

on your other computer, can you do this:

***** *****nell :

go to the link below and run it. It will give you an ID and a password. Please tell me the ID and the password ***** I can connect to your desktop and fix the problem remotely.
link: http://tiny.cc/z5lvcx

Customer:

I tried this link directly on this computer, but it didn't open another site. I have also opened up the other machine, so have both online. But I typed in the link and found nothing. Is the link to 'fifty one' or 5L and is it a 'v' or a 'y' the underline makes it unclear

***** *****nell :

it is tiny.cc

***** *****nell :

and

***** *****nell :

/z5lvcx

***** *****nell :

(lowercase L)

***** *****nell :

another solution:

***** *****nell :

can you go to teamviewer.com

***** *****nell :

and click

***** *****nell :

Join Remote Control Session

Customer:

Okay I have got to Tiny.cc/ on the XP computer, but I don't see any password - its all ads and one query about adware.

***** *****nell :

can you go to teamviewer.com

1:19 PM

and click

1:20 PM

Join Remote Control Session

Customer:

Do you mean 'Solution for remote control'?

***** *****nell :

do you see the big green download button on the page?

***** *****nell :

"Download free for private use"

Customer:

The first site offers Free Download, the second site offers Download. Are they both the same thing, as I don't see a button as such?

***** *****nell :

can you go to teamviewer.com

***** *****nell :

teamviewer.com

Customer:

Yes I have done that, when I say there are two sites, the first one is labelled Teamviewer.com - TeamViewer10 and the second one seems to refer to TV - Mac. so I will click on th first - and I have found the green button. And I have downloaded and run the programme. So I get an ID of 599 778 453 and a password *****

***** *****nell :

i am checking

***** *****nell :

I will be happy if you rate my service using one of the smiley icons.
I will be happy to help you if you may have problems in the future.
Have a nice day,
Best regards.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Experience: Experience in Windows environment. ASP, Visual Basic, Ajax
any problems?