Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a Pavilion 16-P189SA bought in December 2014. I have

I have a Pavilion 16-P189SA bought in December 2014. I have been unable to instal updates, since after waiting while 75 updates were being installed, I was immediately informed that the new changes were being removed owing to an error in configuring the updates. THis has happened on numerous occasions, and I doubt that any updates have been installed. Please advise. ***** *****ON.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Which version of windows is this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Windows 8-1 is the operating system of my Pavilion laptop.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks James
Normally this is a corruption issue on the hard disk, so I would like you to do the following please
Press the windows key + X and click on command Prompt (Admin)
Once done, restart the computer
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then test if the updates now work.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I now have the following message on my screen: Scanning and repairing drive(C:):10 per cent complete. This message has not changed for 2hours. What to do now?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, ths is part of the problem, restart the computer James and try to do the instructions again.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please do the repair procedure on my behalf on my laptop. ***** *****on.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, please accept the offer for additional services James