Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have an Asus Transformer Book T100 supporting Windows 8.1.

I have an Asus Transformer Book T100 supporting Windows 8.1. The internet is slow-to-malfunctioning when the device is on battery power. It works fine when plugged into mains electricity. How do I adjust the power plan from"Balanced Active" to a setting that maximises the battery's performance please? I'm told there's a wireless driver available that might do the trick.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
When you say "slow-to-malfunctioning" how do you mean with this?
Can you give an example of what it does please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well, I get the web browser but as soon as I type in a specific web address I just get the "whirring Circle" (Firefox) or the continuous "dotted line" (IE). Then after about 5-10 minutes I get told the session has timed out or, more often, the Asus just shuts down! Does that help?!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Yes, sounds like an issue with the hard drive
do the following please
Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then test and tell me if you still have the problem
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** what you suggest and then report back.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, having problems locating "All Programs". On my Asus "Star"t is like a window-pane. Not quite sure where to go to get "All Programs".

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No problem, press the windows key + X and choose Command Prompt (admin)
This is another way to do it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It tells me "Access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode." I haven't a clue what any of that means!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Its because you choose ONLY command prompt
You have to choose
command prompt (admin)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well, no luck I'm afraid.Eventually I got it right (Command Prompt Admin) and did just as you said but It's just the same as it was in battery mode (too slow) and fine when connected to the mains. I think you mentioned a driver or an app? maybe it's time to go down that route?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I need to double check the exact model
is it the T100TA?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. T100TA-RB11T-CB.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
download the driver from my link below
Click me to view
You want the top one (latest) under wireless drivers in the list.
then restart and tell me please if you still have the problem please Paul.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just to be double-certain:

I clicked on "Wireless" and found the top one which is this. Is this the right one?

Version V5.93.98.207

DescriptionBroadcom Wireless Lan Driver and Application
File Size

2,28 (MBytes)2014.06.05 update

Download from

Global (DLM) Global

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I cant see that message too good sorry, its the one with
2014.06.05 update
Next to it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well I'm afraid the internet is still no quicker as a result of downloading these items. What next? It looks like Asus has taken £28 from my account and I am no further on with my enquiry! I am not very happy.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you go to Control Panel, Device Manager
Go down to network adapters
right click the wireless network card and select properties
Turn off all Power management features listed there, then click ok, restart the computer and tell me please if you still have the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. Just to be sure, under "Network" there are listed two Bluetooth devices plus this: "Broadcom 802.11 abgn Wireless Network Adapter"... is this what you want me to turn off its management features?

Also, to be sure, when I open "Properties" there are 6 tabs: General, Advanced, Driver, Details, Events, Resources. I notice that in the tab "Driver" I can Disable or Uninstall. Is this what you want me to do? Disable?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes that is correct.
I want you to go to Power Management and make sure that the device cannot be turned off by the computer
you will see the option there
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well I tried that restarted and discovered that I could no longer connect to the internet! Did I switch off the wrong component or something?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Im not sure what you did Paul
You just go to Power Management and uncheck the options there as I was instructions.
What is it you did?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As I mentioned before the wireless network card has 6 tabs. Discounting the tabs "General"", "Details", "Events" and "Resources" that leaves the tabs "Advanced" and "Driver". Under "Advanced" there is a heading "Property" and a long list of properties as well as a separate heading/option called "Value" which gives the choices "Auto", "Enabled" and "Disabled". Under the Property heading there are two which might be the ones you want me to switch off: "Disable Upon Wired Connect" and "Enable/Disable LTR". Is either of these properties the one you want me to switch off? And do I switch them off by clicking the "Disabled" option under "Value"? Or am I in the wrong place again?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It sounds like your in the wrong place as this is not where my instructions would lead you.
We need to approach this differently.
The best is to do a reinstall. Before we do this, is there any data you need to backup off the computer (programs you will have to reinstall again).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm clearly not following your requests. I'm not sure why this should be. Maybe you are looking at a different device to the one in front of me. Your advice hasn't helped but not for want of trying. Thank you for your time and patience but I think I shall pursue some other solutions and see where they get me.

Thank you and goodbye.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, I am look at your device which is why I confirmed the model.
I am not sure why you want to quit now Paul, we have both invested many hours on this eliminating the causes. I have also offered to sign onto your computer and do the steps myself which you rejected...
But its up to you I guess.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.