IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Networking not working between Mac and PC. We've definitely

Customer Question

Networking not working between Mac and PC.
We've definitely got all the permissions set correctly. Everyone can read write, do whatever they like. But H can't see me at all. "there are no other people in the homegroup" it says.
In the past he could, but we didn't use it that often and have no idea what has changed.
Category: Computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.

Hi again!

Are you near Windows 7 computer now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes - 2 desks, one office

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
OK, good. I would like to check the settings there first, so please download TeamViewer there and start it, then let me know the ID and Password ***** that I can connect.

Use this link to download TeamViewer - the link works for both Windows and Mac.

http://connect.teamviewer.com/v10
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Weird. He downloaded TView and it says "check your intenet conn. Most likely you use proxy settings and need to input proper data in options dialogue"

Computers huh!

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Maybe that is the original problem.

Please disable any proxy settings that might have been enabled by following these instructions:

1. Exit all open Internet Explorer windows

2. Click the Windows Start button and then Control Panel

3. There click on Network and Internet and then Internet Options

4. When the Internet Options window opens, click on the Connections tab

5. There click on the LAN settings button located at the bottom

6. Make sure only the first check-box is selected (Automatically detect settings). Click OK and OK again to apply the changes and exit the windows

Check if you can access the network share now. If not, exit and re-start TeamViewer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We hoped so but no joy.

Teamviewer:

###-##-####/p>

4136

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Connected.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
The issue has been successfully resolved via remote assistance!

Regards,
IT Miro
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again IT Miro! Well the network worked for a few days and has now failed again. I can't see Henry's machine and he can't see mine.

You fixed it before by putting an ip address in somewhere and then making a link to my machine on his. We don't remember enough detail to try to repeat that. Also I remembered that in the past I'd gone to Finder, Go, Connect to Server.

But it asks for a password ***** connect to smb://henry-pc

I don't have a password ***** there's no instruction to reset it.

I probably won't be able to pursue this till Monday now, but wanted to get it down. Thank you. Mary

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, Mary!

It is possible that the IP adresses have changed, so that would explain why you don't have access any more.

Let me know when you are available so that I can check the issue using remote desktop connection.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We are available now - sorry for delay. Current situation - I can see H's PC, he can't see mine.

It recognises the IP address but says it cant get access. "Your computer appears to be correctly configured but the device or resource 192 etc is not responding".

Also btw I'm still getting the intermittent error message that started our correspondence!

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, Mary!

Please start TeamViewer on your Mac so that I can connect there and check the problem.

http://connect.teamviewer.com/v10
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Crazy - Team Viewer will not recognise my email address! And I've forgotten the password ***** gave it.

M

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
No e-mail adress is required.

You only need to click on the link to re-download TeamViewer (if not already), and then start it on your Mac. It will then show you numbers for ID and Password.

Type those numbers here so that I can connect.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was trying to reuse the previous instance of it ...

Now reinstalled.

ID 234 332 968

PW 6501

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Connected.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Problem successfully resolved via remote desktop assistance.

Regards,
IT Miro
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

IT MIRO, Help!

This is Mary again. Since the changes you made I have no internet access at all! I phoned my isp/hosting company but they say they can't help. I think I need to change the network settings back again ...but i dont know what they were.

please reply to *****@******.***

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
That's strange. TeamViewer could not work without Internet access, so you had Internet access while I was connected, before and after changing the IP address.

Please restart your Mac and then check if the Internet access will be restored. Check if Henry has Internet connection.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Henry does - his is fine. The first thing I did was tom try to go to JA and give you feedback - server not found. I thought it was JA. Will try the switch off now.

No, I restarted and still nothing - no email or web access :-(

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
OK.

In that case, you can revert the changes by following these instructions:

1. Open System Preferences (you can type it in the search box in the upper right corner)
2. In the System Preferences window, click on Network
3. Next to Configure IPv4, click where it says Manually and there select Using DHCP
4. Click Apply

Check the results now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK I am back in action. But I asked H to see if he could see me on Network and his machine seems to have gone very clunky and unresponsive.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Since you changed the IP address, Henry won't be able to see your computer.

Please restart Henry's computer if it is unresponsive and start TeamViewer there so that I can connect and create a new shortcut for accessing your computer using computer name.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

TV on H PC: 235 952 75 3

PW: 9642

His machine horribly clunky and slow

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
I have connected.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Got your message re computer name but couldn't reply. H testing network now BUT his machine still hopelessly slow, mouse really hard to steer and everything slow to respond.

He says the shortcut isn't working, but then lots of things not working or very very slow to respond.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
I have disconnected from the Henry's computer. I modifed the shortcut so he should be able to use it to access your Mac, no matter which IP was set.

He can test the connection now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Whew. It looks as if all is well again!

Big apologies but it's likely that the clunkyness was because I had put my ipad down by H's laptop and it was pushing on the usb gizmo that operates the wireless mouse ...

The network now works, and I have full internet access. Huge thanks and a huge relief.

Bye - hopefully for longer this time!

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Smile
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

where's the rate to finish button ? !

Out now for an hour will do it soonest.

M

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
This question page already contains your rating, so you cannot rate again. You can create a new question page and rate there:

http://www.justanswer.co.uk/computer/expert-it-miro