Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Experience:  Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
2888018

Acer PC running Windows 7. My son has forgotten password. After

Customer Question

Acer PC running Windows 7. My son has forgotten password. After switching on we have a blank black screen asking us to press Ctrl/Alt/Del. After this we are asked to press F2 and then are asked for a password. This is the password ***** do not remember and after 3 tries we have to start all over again.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.

Greetings

There's a bunch of different ways to reset a user password ***** Windows 7. I'll start wih the easiest.

1) Start the computer in safe mode with command prompt. To do this, restart the computer, BEFORE windows begins to load, start tapping the F8 key. When timed correctly, you'll be offered a set of startup options. Use the arrow keys to highlight Windows safe mode with command prompt. Then hit enter.

Once it starts up, it'll present you with an old style dos prompt. Type this:

net user administrator /active:yes

Then hit enter.

The spaces are necessary. You should get a successful message after.

Restart the computer, and the administrator account should be enabled (default windows account with no password). From there, you can navigate to the user accounts in Control Panel and then reset your primary password ***** remove it.

If you need clarification on any of the above steps let me know.

If you get stuck anywhere or can't get it to work, reply to me and we'll move on to the next step. There's about 4 different ways to do this, but this is by far the easiest/fastest.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry cannot get past the password ***** after pressing F2 (only a long continuous beeping sound)

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
This should be before the F2 procedure (if it's indeed windows). If it's a bios password *****'s something entirely different.

The f8 switch happens immediately after the computer is turned on. You'll need to shut it down (power button) and turn it back on to do the F8 switch to get advanced startup options.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Could it be a BIOS password ***** when we switch it back on we get "a disk error has occurred" Press Ctrl/Alt/Del

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
It very well could be a bios password ***** you're not getting to the Windows Logo screen.

The disk error itself could be a disconnected or failed hard drive. Or even an invalid boot path (set in the bios).

If you're getting the password ***** AFTER hitting F2, then yes, it's a bios password ***** is drastically different and the repair is usually very advanced if even possible.

What's the exact model # ***** the acer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ACER ASPIRE 5734Z

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Alright, you might be in luck then.

First let me explain why you have to do it this way so you understand.

A bios password ***** NOTHING to do with your hard drive, windows, etc. It is actually stored in the systems hardware (cmos/motherboard). They used to have bypass codes back in the day, but now most manufacturers just tell you that you need to buy a new computer or motherboard if you lose the password.

That is the case in some situations. The aspire series though, you can reset the bios by clearing it's battery.

Here is a video doing this procedure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNR7JZYl2PE

Be careful, work slow, and follow the video. It's not a difficult procedure in this series luckily, most laptops are far worse at getting to the cmos battery (some are impossible due to being sodered in).

As for your disk error, it's likely booting to the wrong device, or your hard drive failed which is why it's not booting to windows. Even with a bios password, your system should still boot to the drive as long as it doesn't have a boot bios password (which it doesn't, or it would say so instead of directing you to bios setup with F2).