Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have two Kindles. The first is a basic model, 6.5 by 4.5

I have two Kindles. The first is a basic model, 6.5 by 4.5 inches, which I carry in my handbag, and which has 250 items on it. I use it just for reading. The second is a bigger, heavier Kindle Fire, 9.5 by 6.5 inches, which I can use for reading my emails etc. It's too heavy to be portable.
I have downloaded more books onto the 2nd Kindle than are on the 1st one. I can easily get WiFi on the 2nd one, but I can no longer get the 1st Kindle to connect to the same WiFi network so that I can download the remaining items. Does the 1st Kindle have a limit to the number of items it can contain? Or is it a problem with the WiFi connection? Thanks!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
This is usually an issue with the Firmware there are no limits, so I would first like you to do this please on the problem Kindle.
Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.
Release, then connect the charger and turn on the Kindle and tell me if it now connects.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Richard,

No, I've tried your suggestion 3 times and I'm still getting 'Unable to connect to Wi-Fi Network'. Can you suggest any other solution? Kay.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Is it seeing the wifi network Kay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes! It's directing me to the Browser but it still says 'unable to connect', even before it allows me to type in my password.

Sometimes it suggests that I set up the Wi-Fi network manually and then asks me for info I don't know, Connection Type, IP address, Subnet Mask, Router, DNS and Security Type! I don't have the foggiest idea what all this stuff means!

The Kindle Fire, meanwhile, is now connected to the same Wi-Fi network without a problem! I just inserted the password ***** Bingo!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, we need to reset the problem Kindle Kay to rule out corrupted firmware as the cause if the issue.
to do this.
Go to Go Menu/Settings/Menu/Reset to factory defaults.
Let this complete, then setup the Kindle again like when you first received it and tell me if it can now connect to the wireless network.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I'm still getting 'unable to connect'! The Wi-Fi network I use allows only one hour's free connection in every 24 hours and it may be that I've used up that hour with the connection to the Kindle Fire, so I'll wait until tomorrow and try again.

I've had this Kindle for a couple of years and I always carry it around with me. I've never dropped it or knowingly damaged it, but I suppose it's possible that it's been damaged somehow.

I'm going offline now but I'll get back to you tomorrow with an update. Fingers crossed! Thanks for your help. Kay.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It would connect still Kay, just not give internet if your out of time, so thats not the problem.
It is the internal wifi card in the Kindle that has faulted. This confirms it
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by reinstalling it.
you will have to get the Kindle replaced sorry Kay, its a hardware issue
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard,
Sorry I didn't get back to you until now. I was working!

I note what you say about the internal Wi-Fi card but here's a strange thing! I was at a friend's house and she has Wi-Fi. She gave me her password, and lo and behold - my Kindle connected to it! So it looks as though there isn't a problem with the Kindle, it's something about my own house which inhibits wireless connection from local 'hot spots'.

What do you think? Is it possible that some external factor such as heavy traffic or geographical situation could affect connectivity? Kay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard,

My Kindle is connecting to a Wi-Fi network now. I bought a router modem, set it up and everything is fine. I've re-downloaded all the items from the archive. There's nothing wrong with the Kindle after all!

Thanks for your suggestions, though.

Kay.