Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My new HP 250 G3 Laptop has a faulty on/off switch - how

My new HP 250 G3 Laptop has a faulty on/off switch - how can I get it replaced
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
When you say its faulty, do you mean the actual switch has broken? Or it depresses but nothing happens?
Please let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The switch works partially, the blue on light flashes red and the returns to blue. A small blue light on the left hand side of the computer flashes on and off contentiously.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Its not the actual switch that's the problem, it will either be residue power or the motherboard.
Can you disconnect the power cable and remove the battery.
Then hold the power switch down for 60 seconds, then release.
Put the battery back in, connect the power button and tell me if it now turns on please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't seem to have expressed myself very well - sorry. The computer switches on and works very well. The run/stop indicator works properly - it comes on when I press the switch and the blue light on the indicator comes on when the computer is ready for use (after I have put the pass word in). When I press the on/off switch again the indicator goes red and then turns off. All this seems fine. However, this is when the blue light at the left hand side of the computer starts to flash (and the hard disk is still running). Having thought about the problem, since our last e-mail discussion, I think it is might be a software problem. Could you send me your opinion, please, together with any suggestions you have for a solution? All I really need to do is to ensure that the HDD turns off too.

Kind regards,

Trevor Hyman

.

The problem is not about start-up, it is about shut-down.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, when you press it it suspends the computer and there is going to be hard disk activity as it is still running.
If you want it to actually shut down and turn off, you need to shut the computer down via the software
If you tell me the version of windows you have I can tell you how this is done.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your reply. I came to exactly the same conclusion myself!

I had not shut the computer software as well as the hardware - I shoud have remembered this!!! All now runs perfectly !

Thank you for all of your help - I'm sorry to have wasted your time.

Do I get my good-will deposit back ?

Kind regards,

Trevor Hyman

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

So now that I solved your problem you want a refund?

That's not really good faith Trevor or the right thing to do and not how you should work with people It's just not right

You get your refund here http://w.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard,

I was just asking the question., Of course, I didn't expect a refund - your time and expertise have to be paid for !!! Perhaps the term "Good Will" might have been explained a bit better. Anyway, how do I send HP a note saying how very helpful you have been ?

Kind regards,

Trevor

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, its been a very tough day for me Trevor.
I appreciate that and when you do a rating on this answer, you are then passing on your remarks.
You click on of the smiley faces or stars to do this.
And if you need anything else, please let me know