Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I recently purchased a fujitsu a544 laptop, i desired a larger

I recently purchased a fujitsu a544 laptop, i desired a larger ssd so bought a samsung evo 850 500gb to replace the installed 128gb samsung inside.
Icloned the pre installed 7 o/s to the new ssd and although on tranfer over it originally booted and seemed ok on request to restart it then failed to boot and could not find the required files, I tried a clean install from the o/s repair disk and even this went so far but failed to progress after first automatic re-start, it seems like bios problems i guess but not easy for me to remedy. Regards Terence.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
If you were able to install to it, then it was recognised so does not appear to be a bios issue.
When you said it could not find the files, what was the exact message it gave? Was it "could not find boot device" or similar?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

something along those lines yes

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, that means it lost complete connection to the hard drive Terence, nothing to do with the actual data but a loss of connection.
Three reasons for this problem.
1) The hard drive has failed. It may work intermediately but when it brings this message up it means the hard drive is not responding at all.
2) The cable / plug connected to the hard drive either for data or power is loose or faulty.
3) The port on the motherboard is faulty and is causing a loss in the connection.
As you just had the hard drive installed, it is very likely to be 1 or 2 that is the cause. First, can you ensure it is plugged in tightly for both the power and the data and see if this gets it working.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I installed the old ssd to have a computer to work from, so i suppose that rules out the motherboard connection

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes it does, as well as the cable and confirms its the hard drive thats the issue, its faulty sorry and your going to need to return it. It will though be covered under the warranty and the replacement will be done at no cost.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

got a new ssd but problem still exists

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
what are the exact specifications of the new SSD?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

samsung evo 500gb p/n mz7ln500

it did the same as the first loaded ok after cloning, but when rebooting on prompt fails to load

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, seems to be the cloning that is causing it to fail.
Format it and do not clone it but set it up normally via a windows installation.
How does it then operate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

tried to do a clean install when it first arrived but after loading the o/s fails to progress on 1st reboot.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
what are the specs of the old SSD?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

samsung mzte 128 gb

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, they have not listed any compatibility for SSD for this Laptop, but what I have seen an issue in the past with SSD is the size and what the Laptop can handle.
If the 128 is having no problems at all, and we have ruled out the hard disk as being faulty, it leaves the size of the hard disk as the problem.
Once the drive is formatted and ready for use, and it sees the size, this is when it loses the connection. Try to replace it with 250GB to see if it can handle this, else you will have to keep the size at 128.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok that's going to take some time, it would be nice to get fujitsu's view on this, do you have any communication channels with this manufacturer.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No sorry Terence, but I have checked and there is no indication of compatibility with the SSD drives, only SSHD, 5,400 rpm, 500 GB / 8 GB SSD Cache, 2.5-inch, S.M.A.R.T so they haven't officially tested it, but based on my experience it will be the size that is the issue here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thanks for now but really downsizing seems to be against the principal of the upgrade in the first place, I'll try to get some feedback from fujitsu or samsung before my next move or i could keep going round in circles.

I'll try and let you know if i get any resolution I've got a feeling you'd be keen to know.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I am as I would like to know the limits, but it will either be 250 or 128, I am sure of this.
Let me know how it goes please Terence
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok bye for now richard