Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a home Mac desktop and Word 2011, plus my office

I have a home Mac desktop and Word for Mac 2011, plus my office email is Outlook. I also use Gmail and Chrome.
Recently-for the last three weeks or so Word attachments sent to me on Outlook (web application) refuse to open (or print)-it is as if I was not clicking on them at all. I can sometimes open them as a webpage but then I am not able to edit them.
Can you help me fix this? I tried using Time Machine to go back to my application settings of one or two months ago but that does not help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you open word documents on the hard drive? Once not in emails but just saved on the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I believe I cannot do anything to the Word attachment while inside OWA, including save it for opening later, but I will go and try that to be sure. Incidentally I can open Powerpoint attachments , no problem.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, you said OWA so you are accessing this via your web browser?
If so, which browser are you using?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I am accessing my Outlook using Chrome browser. When I right-click (alt-click) the attachment icon I can only "save link" but it does not show up in the file I choose. Same when i try to open it in another tab etc.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you in Chrome click on the three bars in the top right and click Settings.
Then click on Show Advance Settings
Click on Clear Browsing Data
Choose from the beginning of time
Let this complete and when it has, close Chrome, reopen it and tell me if you can then open attachments.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry, not sure you got my reply-it is Chrome

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I did, did you see my message?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I closed Chrome and relaunched it and OWA and the problem is still there..

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, but did you also follow the steps I gave? Not just closed and relaunched it.
Then click on Show Advance Settings
Click on Clear Browsing Data
Choose from the beginning of time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I did do all of this. Only the first four Browsing data settings were checked -the other ones would wipe out my password ***** etc..

Relaunched Chrome, but OWA word attachment problem persists

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry just have to take a 10 min lunch break, while you figure out next step.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Go back to Settings, Show Advance Settings in Chrome
Go to the bottom and click on Reset Settings.
Let this complete, restart the computer and tell me if it now opens the attachments please
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard.

The reset has among other things wiped out my sign-in details on OWA, so now I have to use my personal email to ask colleagues what that is (of course I know the password, it is the account address I am not so sure of!)

There are also other collateral glitches like I am constantly asked to enter a security code from my mobile for Google, from which my desktop used to be exempt. I tick the box asking for no more verifications on this computer but it asks me anyway next time.

Give me a few minutes to find out the login details and revert..

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No problem, Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, I got in finally and Word is now launching OK from OWA. Great! What do you think happened to block it, just so i dont have to reset everything too often?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
The browser got corrupted, it can happen in Chrome (or any program can be corrupted)
Its rare and its not caused by something specific you did. You should not have to do the reset again.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much-rating on the way..