Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have just purchased a new HP pavilion laptop running on windows

Customer Question

I have just purchased a new HP pavilion laptop running on windows 8.1, 2.16 ghz intel processor and 4GB RAM with a 1TB hard drive. From the very start I've experienced extreme problems when streaming videos (youtube) the sound gets laggy and distorted and makes awful buzzing sounds. If I'm downloading using a torrent client (utorrent) My entire system slows to a crawl, not just the internet. If i am trying to watch a show/movie on VLC player that i have downloaded previously (not seeding and .torrent removed) at the same time as downloading, the sound gets so distorted and screaming/buzzing that it's unwatchable. I am sure this should not be happening....
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
It looks like windows was not properly installed. I want to get the computer back to a clean state, its the best way to get it running at 100%.
First, is there any data you need to save off the computer? (programs you will need to install again)
Please let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Windows came pre-installed on the laptop. It was purchased in South Korea online. I just started up the computer and went from the prompt screens.

There is nothing particularly important on the computer. Only torrented tv shows from the last week (the computer is only 2 weeks old) they can be easily replaced.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, we do a reinstall to make sure there is no corruption on the computer.
To do this, go to the windows 8 sign in screen but dont sign in
On the log in screen, hold down the SHIFT button and with it held down, click the power icon and choose restart. Keep SHIFT held until it has restarted into a menu. Choose Troubleshoot, then Reset my PC. This returns the PC to new, so you can set it up again.
Then tell me how the performance is now please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard - this has not solved the problem at all I'm afraid. I started to download a very small file and the internet once again started to buzz and distort and slowed right down. I played a youtube video with nothing downloading, that buzzed a good bit too, every 15 seconds or so.(while i'm writing this, a video is playing and its buzzing and distorting!) A small music file on the computer buzzed and slowed/stopped too. I haven't even downloaded anything except utorrent. There is nothing at all on the computer. So, if I have more programs and am doing more operations I can only imagine it will get worse.

More ideas please!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard - I have replied once and advised your solution has not solved the problem. its exactly the same. I am now being asked to rate your service. you haven't solved my problem at all, so I am not going to rate until I have a more satisfactory answer.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kellie
Sorry, I was not online when you replied.
Can you tell me please the make and model of your internet router?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My router is a netis m3100n 150mbps

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you remove the power from this and wait 10 minutes.
Plug the power back in and tell me please if performance then improves
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard. Tried this twice. No change.

Sorry, I need more ideas

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If it still happens after all these steps Kellie, its a hardware problem and will be either the motherboard, hard drive or network card.
I am sorry but you will have to return the Laptop so they can perform a hardware diagnostics on it and replace the faulting component.
This will be covered by the warranty though if this has not expired, and the repair will be performed at no cost, but you will have to have this done sorry.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.