Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Consultant
Experience:  Over 20 years experience with Apple/Windows desktop publishing, design, troubleshooting
25267123

,I have an Epson XP-412 printer which has been operating

Customer Question

I have an Epson XP-412 printer which has been operating completely successfully until 4 days ago (10th Mar 2015).
It has now developed a problem in photo copying: on the little screen on the front of the computer under Settings the Paper Type is stuck on Photo Paper, with no choices available. However, in the default printer preferences on the computer, it is still set on Plain Papers.
As a consequence, photocopying is very slow as if it is printing a photo.
I should be grateful for your assistance.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Please try the steps in this image (you will need to makle a copy to do it), the 6th step is where you change the type.
http://oi58.tinypic.com/2vjv6yq.jpg

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know all that - as I told you in my question.

This was no help and I wish to cancel any subscription. I was told this question would cost £20 - OK BUT it was not made clear this involved a monthly subscription until after you took my bank details: I do not like that approach.

Although I did not choose any of the subscription choices and therefore did no agree to any subscription, please confirm any subscription is cancelled.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

.
The subscription is optional and you do not have one, you also did not mention doing anything of what I just sent you. All you mentioned doing was changing settings on your computer, and the steps I gave you have nothing to do with the computer. Since you say you already did this, please tell me everything you have done so far and exactly what steps you used so I do not repeat anything you have done.
.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to hear I do not have any monthly subscription - thanks for that confirmation.

After changing the settings on the computer, I still found that on the printer's screen under Settings the Paper Type was still set on Photo Paper WITH NO CHOICES AVAILABLE - that's my problem.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Photocopying has nothing to do with the computer, ignore the computer settings they are independent of this and the steps I sent you are done only on the printer. When you try the steps I sent you exactly the way I sent you, how far can you get and what options do you see?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On the printer, after choosing Copy, I still found that on the printer's screen under Settings the Paper Type was still set on Photo Paper WITH NO CHOICES AVAILABLE - that's my problem.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Which buttons are you using? What paper size do you have it set to?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On the printer's Copy Settings:-

Layout = Borderless

Reduce/Enlarge is set to Auto Fit Page

Paper Size is set to A4

Paper Type is stuck on Photo Paper, WITH NO OTHER CHOICES AVAILABLE UNDER PAPER TYPE

Quality is set to Standard Quality.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I understand you are frustrated but paper type and size go together which is why I asked and is important to your problem. There was no need to be rude with the bolding/all caps/underline, I am going to opt out due to your response rather than continue with you. Do not rate or you may not get another reply from anyone. If anyone else wants to help you they will reply the same way I did.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I apologise if you found my bolding etc rude: that was not my intention.

I wanted to emphasise the point which is the centre of my problem and which I had already explained.

Please confirm you accept my apology - I do not treat people like that.

It's just seemed to me that you hadn't understood what I thought I had made clear before.

Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 1 year ago.
Are you on a Mac or Windows?