Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I am receiving the following error message 'default boot device

I am receiving the following error message 'default boot device missing or boot failed ' insert recovery media and hit any key'.
I gave no idea what ti do - can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me the make and model of your computer please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you - it's an Acer Aspire E1 - 572

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Lorie
Can you remove the power cable and hold the power button down for 60 seconds, then release.
Connect the power cable and tell me if it now starts please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, same error message, also says 'insert recovery media and hit any key, then select 'boot manager' to choose a new boot device or to boot recovery media'

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
The error message is it cannot communicate with the hard drive Lorie.
Its not residue power causing this as we have ruled this out.
It is either the hard drive itself has crashed or the Sata port on the motherboard.
I am really sorry but you need to return the Laptop so that a hardware diagnostic can be performed and the faulting component replaced.
If the hard drive crashed (likely) then all data on it has been lost sorry (I want to be upfront with you). If it is just the Sata port and they replace the motherboard, your data will be ok. But this is a hardware problem and its going to require a hardware replacement.
I am really sorry about this and if you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.