Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have an er1401 emachine. i have been to microsoft to try

I have an er1401 emachine. i have been to microsoft to try and download install iso but code not recognised from side of pc since trip to pc shop. how can i download iso so can restore to factory settings
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Do you still have the recovery disks you received when you purchased the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it did not come with any disks when purchased from amazon

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
How long ago did you purchase it Aaron?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

some time between 2010 -2012

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, power off the computer
Hold the SHIFT button down and with it held down, turn on the computer and keep tapping F10 still with Shift held down.
Tell me if this takes you to the recovery menu please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i am using the house wifi and will loose the connection to you if i power off

please wait whilst i get my netbook and log in

how do i get back to you

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You return to this web page please and you can post a message on the results here Aaron.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i am just logging my netbook on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

right, I am logged on on netbook

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it has brought up "edit boot options"

path: \windows\system32\winload.exe

Partition: 2

Hard Disk: 7b63b4b7

[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It does not look like it caught the process.
Make sure your doing it exactly like this
Restart the computer
When the eMachines logo appears on the screen, press the Alt and F10 keys repeatedly.
When prompted with a boot screen, hit the Enter key.
After the system recovery program has loaded, follow the prompts to reinstall the operating system.
Can you get to the recovery program Aaron?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have done it both ways that you have said using both ALT and SHIFT keys being pressed while hiting repeatedly F10 key once on E screen..nothing

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you still use the computer? Is windows operational?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, click start, type in
recovery
Wait and tell me if you see the recovery program appear in the list please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

progs

eMachine Recovery Management

Cont Pan

Recovery

rv your comp stat and resolve issues

restore to earlierf time

fix probs

create res point

res sys files and setts from res point

res your pc or reinst windows

back up your pc

res data, files, or computer from backup

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Perfect you can run the recovery from here Aaron.
If you wish to reinstall windows you choose
res your pc or reinst windows
And reinstall windows.
Thats how to perform the recovery.
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, not perfet, I have been to this point many times and to reinstall I need windows disks which were not supplied which Is why I cam to you to help me download or sources the iso to create the disks so I can restore to factoy settings as stated at the start. sorry but case not closed..still require assistance

thank you

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then it did come with disks, there is no other way, esle it would have been installed on the hard drive.
Can you double check the packaging please else you are going to have to purchase a new windows disk. You cannot just download windows.
Can you check please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the pc came with no disks.

the pc had windows installed when purchased.

the licence key is on a sticker on the side of the pc

from Microsoft you CAN download windows installation iso with a valid key..my key is valid but for some reason the programme has somehow been changed and Microsoft refer you back to emachines..emachine page refers to your help online

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Aaron, you cannot, your product key only goes with the version of windows that was installed on your computer.
You cannot just download windows and use your product key on it as you have seen.
Your only option now is to purchase windows again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

http://whistlercloudservice.cloudapp.net/en-us/software-recovery

link supplied by microsoft tech moments before i contacted you as he said i need to refer to emachines

please open the link

you will see

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Correct, if you bought windows from Microsoft. But you did not Aaron.
Else your product key would work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the key did work, the pc did work, now i need to download an install disk and it wont as it says the key has been changed

i would not know how to change a key

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The reason you get
"Unsupported Product The product key you entered appears to be for software that was pre-installed on a device. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options"
Is because you cannot download it from Microsoft with this product key as it was pre installed.
Call EMachines on :0371(###) ###-####and you can check if they can send a restore disk to you there. But generally they will not do this without a purchase as it was preinstalled on the computer.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

end result.....

"if you want your pc fixed aaron it will cost you £51 pounds for us to send you the recovery your key supplied on the side of the pc will not work on windows recovery, only ours, we have this problem all the time but we dont supply disks as they may get scratched!!"

what on earth are these people smiking in acer? I would rather have a disk that i would keep safe and risk a scratch than have no disk at all and have to pay dick turpin at acer for their snide incentive.

thank you for your help Richard. at least you were honest and did not try to make me feel like a piece of S*** on the bottom of a shoe.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Aaron,
I can only tell you the reality of the situation.
They either provide a recovery disk or they put in on the hard driver. Some how yours has been deleted from the computer which is why it would not run before.
You would need to either get the disk from them or purchase a windows disk, but getting the disk from them is a much cheaper option.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry