Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

I have just acquired a new computer which uses the Windows

I have just acquired a new computer which uses the Windows 8 operating system (our previous machine used Windows Vista.) I have successfully transferred the AOL software, and all our accounts and screen names on to the new machine from our previous machine.
Can you now send me instructions for transferring my AOL Favourites List and my AOL Address Book to the new computer? The names in my address book seem to have been transferred into the Contacts list on my new computer but the lists saved into groups are not there.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!
Do you still have the old machine so I can guide you into transferring the Favorites List and Address book?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear *****,
Thanks for your reply to my question. You say you require further information which is as follows.
We cannot use our old computer because fraudsters gained remote access to it and we believe they have infected it. For this reason we have been advised not to try to use it again.
We have always understood that AOL has our former Favourite Places and Address Book stored on its computer under our registered screen names so we cannot understand why we can no longer gain access to this information under our AOL account on our new computer or why they have referred us to you to solve this problem for us.
If you cannot help with this problem will we get a refund of the fee we have paid?
Best regards,
Peter Blackburn
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Peter,
It may or may not have been saved online.
Try this on the new computer..
Open AOL
Select Favorites then Manage Favorites to open the panel
Double click on the directory with your screen name. Drag them to the favorites panel to save them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear *****,

Thanks for your reply to my question but this does not solve my problem.

If I click on the word "Favourites" at the top of my AOL account page I am given three options:

Add to Favourites

Add to Favourites Bar

and Organise Favourites

There is no selection button or heading entitled "Manage Favourites". "Organise Favourites" may be a new name for this but my existing Favourites are not listed there.

Since I have changed my computer to one using Windows 8 from the previous model using Windows Vista the appearance of the AOL Desktop has changed but my AOL screen names remain the same so there should be no reason why my existing Favourites stored by AOL and linked to those screen names should not still be accessible.

Previously, when I clicked on "Favourites" they were listed in a column on the right side of the screen and could, if I wished, be dragged on to a Favourites Bar at the top of the page or into an email that I happened to be writing at the time. This last feature was very useful and I cannot think that AOL has dropped this facility from its programme.

If you can help further I will be very grateful.

Best regards,

Peter

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear *****,

You have told me that I could possibly transfer my former list of AOL Favourites to my new Windows8 computer if I can connect it to my old Windows Vista computer and I have explained that I want to avoid doing this as my old computer has been infected by a hacker who gained remote access to it.

However, I have an idea. A few days before my old computer was atttacked I had a new hard disk fitted and I still have the old hard disk which is not infected and the data on this is retrievable

If you can tell me the procedure for transferring my old AOL Favourites file to the new computer I can ask the computer engineer at the shop where I bought my new computer to do this for me. There is just one very valuable file that I am looking for and I know the name of it.

Best regards,

Peter Blackburn

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear *****,

Thanks for your mail.

I will be happy to rate your answer to my question so that you are paid when you have replied to my latest question about the procedure for transferring my AOL Favourites list to my new computer from my old hard disk, that is to say from my old computer, as your last suggestion did not work for the reason I stated.

You told me earlier that there is a procedure for transferring the list from my old computer if I connect the two but you did not say what is is. Please refer to my last email.

Best regards,

Peter