Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a portable HDD, WD 'my passport' Ultra, USB 3 backward

I have a portable HDD, WD 'my passport' Ultra, USB 3 backward compatable. When I connect it to my Humax Foxsat-HDR, it does not show up anywhere.
I wish to save some of the programs that are recorded onto the Humax HD, onto the Portable WD. HDD.
How do I go about seeing the portable HDD and then saving to it ?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
What is the size of the passport please eg: 3TB?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

2TB

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
The Limit Roy is 40GB as it works on Fat32 file system and this is limited to 40GB.
It is meant for memory sticks and nothing really larger
This also has to be formatted as a Fat32, you see this option when you connect the memory stick to windows, right click it and select Format. You choose it under File Type (default is NTFS). The memory device would then work. But it has to be a device under 40GB
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please, can you assume that it is a memory stick of 40 GB formatted to Fat 32 that I will use.

What is the detailed procedure to save a prog. from the HDR to stick ?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Any memory stick can be formatted for fat32 Roy, there is no Fat32 Memory stick, just a memory stick and you format it for fat32 in windows
Here is the procedure
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/convert-hard-disk-partition-fat32-format#1TC=windows-7
I have a film that shows you exactly how to save it to the memory stick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKy74GFkBpI
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Two more Q's.

How can I find out how big an individual prog. on the Foxsat HDR is in Bytes, kB or mB ?

IF it were possible to make the My passport HDD into partitions of less than 40GB. Would the Foxsat recognise the first partition and allow me to use it ?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Usually its about 4GB per hour of video.
I cannot answer on the second question as I have my customer get a memory stick which is about 10 pounds and use it this way.
I do not believe it would work for you as I don't believe the Humax can cycle through partitions and would get stuck doing this.
You get memory sticks at 32GB and you can get one here for 9 pounds
http://www.pcworldbusiness.co.uk/catalogue/item/P174137P?from=category&heat=title
I recommend going this route.