Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My DNS Server works intimitently on my laptop. I have changed

My DNS Server works intimitently on my laptop. I have changed the DNS Number to 208.67.222.222, disabled Microsoft Wi-fi Miniport Adapter and flushed the DNS, it still keeps cutting off and will not load the pages. Please can you help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Is the actual issue that you do not get internet on the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We do get the internet for a few seconds then it goes off. BT have looked into the connection and all is fine. I have no problem on my phone or tablet.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Debbie
Are you connecting via a network cable or wireless?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

wireless.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Does it indicate it is connected to your wireless network?
You see this in the bottom right
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
First step, click start, type in
ncpa.cpl
press enter
Right click wireless connection and select properties
Click on Internet Protocol 4 and click properties.
Make sure that both for the IP and DNS it is set for automatic, so no numbers are specified.
Click ok, then check if you get internet
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****, I am at work at the moment but will do that at home. I did actually do it already and change the DNS number to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 as I was told to do. Originally it was set for automatic when it started going wrong.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, if other devices work there, then it needs to be set to automatic.
Let me know when you do this if you do not have internet still. I have marked this question to never close, so no time frame for this.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****,

I am at home now and changed the DNS and IP to automatic as you requested and all is working now. Trouble is we have had spells where it works fine. Could I test if for a few hours before signing of the question fully? Regards

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You can test as long as you wish Debbie as this question is marked to never close.
Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****, I have just come to check everything is ok and although I have managed to get on the internet now at first it said Server not found, the internet seems to just stop intermitantly, I will try it again in half an hour or so. Many thanks

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Is it just for one website or all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

all website, there is no connection at all. Having said that I have just re-checked and all is fine. Sorry about this, if it happens again I will try and provide some more information. This has got me beat. Many thanks again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****, good morning. This is just really to let you know everything was working fine for a few hours then yesterday evening the whole thing just stopped and I got the dreaded DNS Server not responding again. This morning I turned off the modem for five minutes and its all working again now. Is there anything else that could possibly help please? Debbie

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes
First, what version of windows is running on the problem computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its Windows 7

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you click start, type in
NCPA.cpl
Press enter
right click on the network connection and select properties
Click on intenret protocol 4 and select properties
Enter these DNS entries
4.2.2.2
and
4.2.2.1
Save this and tell me how the connection then is please
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****, I have done as you asked and received 'server not found' message. Obviously I have now changed the DNS back to automatic in order that I can reply to you. All is working fine at the moment, its all very odd.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You would only get that if you where entering in something else
You left the IP as Automatic correct?
On that page
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I only entered those two numbers on the DNS part.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
And what was in the IP Part?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was set at automatic...

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it looks like your ISP is blocking this and is the issue here or a faulty router
Leave it at automatic and let me know how long it stays ok please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will do Richard.