Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

We have Act 11 and suddenly started saying it could not access

Customer Question

We have Act 11 and suddenly started saying it could not access the database - this is held on the machine, I can find it but ACT cannot
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Is it all machines that cannot access the ACT database? Or just one in particular?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is the master machine, we only have one other machine which remote syncs and again this cannot because the host system cannot open the database

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I need to be clear, it cannot Access the database which means it cannot find it.
Or it finds it but cannot Open the database?
And this is all within one machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it states cannot be accessed, then navigates to the box where it is - if I click on it get same message

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Which version of Windows is the computer running?
I can also do these steps for you via remote control, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

vista business

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Right click on the Act Database and select properties.
Make sure the check box Read only is unchecked.
Can you confirm and let me know please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this is the .pad and neither read only nor hidden are checked

under advanced, ready for achiving and index this file for faster searching checked, the compress and encrypt are unchecked

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, what do you mean with
"this is the .pad"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

act database has a .pad suffix

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, thats just the shortcut
The actual database is a .adf
Do you see this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no but according to act screen, lists both .pad and .adf as types of database (plus dbf for 3-6) I have searched for .adf and none show - even the demo database is a .pad

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, this is the problem you need to find the ADF file.
The pad file is a link to the adf file.
Can you check the recycle bin for this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok found adf same properties as above

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, restore it from the recycle bin please
Then try to run it
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

was not in recycle - because was opening from act it was only looking for .pad, if try using . adf then says dont have permission to open and contact administrator

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, not having permissions to open is going to be the issue.
Right click on it and select properties.
Go to security and assign security for everyone (give full control)
Then click ok and now try to open it.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ihave system, Account Unknown, Administrator

All have all privileged except Special permissions which I cannot check

Through the advance it shows all of above have full access

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, do the following on the vista computer please
Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then try to open Act
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nearly same issue, if I try going direct to adt then says The SQL Database instance is not available
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you get this because SQL server is not running.
Click the Windows Start button, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
Type services.msc into the Open field, and then click OK. The Services panel appears.
Locate the SQL Server (ACT) service:
If the Status is Started, then right-click and select Restart. If the service is not started, then continue to the next step.
If the Status does NOT display Started for this service, right-click the service, and then click Start from the shortcut menu.
When complete, the Status column will display Started, and the Startup Type will display Automatic.
Then try to run it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have ACT! Scheduler which was disabled and SQL Agent$Telelite no SQL Server (ACT)

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, start them and tell me if it now opens please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Act Scheduler started then stopped, same message on default opening, Same if try to open adt SQL Database instance unavailable

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, there is some corruption then
When did this problem start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it was actually about 6 months ago - hadnt worried as remote worker could work fine, just not sync but has now created problems for her too

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, so when did she start having the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

about 3 months ago

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you are going to have to try to do a system restore from then.
To do this, close all programs
Click start and type in
system restore
press enter
Follow the onscreen steps and perform a system restore choosing a restore point before this problem occurred.
When complete tell me if it now runs please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

only giving options of yesterday and today

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then you will have to reinstall Act again, this is the only remaining option.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

any idea where I would get a copy? ours was a downloaded upgrade to act 6 which was some years ago

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
only from the place you originally downloaded it from as its a paid product.
If you dont have the link you can call them on 0845(###) ###-####to get another copy Tim