hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I am a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technican and skilled in the troubleshooting of computer problems
40928634

I wish to know the best way to listen to radio 3 and radio

I wish to know the best way to listen to radio 3 and radio 5 live. I have a range of equipment from mp3 to fully arieled fm to DAB, high speed fibre broad band and newly wired free sat and free view with top of the range amplifier decoder and speakers. It cannot be difficult to get details of which is in theory the best reception for on the move, and at home listening, with details of bit rates the chanels are broadcast at and which gives best reproduction via each method of listening. However the BBC seem unable to provide this information and their complaints dept simply says they have answered by sending a reply which says "it depends on your equipment". I appreciate that it depends on the equipement but as I have a full range I would assume the best solution could be offered. Is there ANYONE one can complain to or get an answer from who has the actual information as opposed to me having to collate dribs and drabs through various forum on the internet.
Category: Computer
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Am happy for you to continue to try and find someone who knows how to get this information. However if a further 2 working days do not provide a solution please arrange a refund of money paid.

many thanks

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Expert:  hongkongpom replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

I've taken a look at things and the problem is that the UK jumped the gun with DAB in my honest opinion.

They utilised a codec (compression/decompression) spec that was derived from a listening panel in 1990. This meant a MP2 layer 2 codec. Freeview uses the same codec!

To cut a long story short, this meant that a bit rate of at least 192kbps (kilo bits per second) was needed for the sound quality to perceived as excellent. Sadly only Radio 5 does this.

DAB missed the boat in that it didn't use the MP2 layer 3 codec which meant the same perceived sound quality at 128kbps.

What the UK should have done is wait a while for the DAB2 standard to be mandated.

The digital radio streams are multiplexed (muxed) together. The radio stations share this mux meaning the available bits have to be shared amongst them.. As more stations are added to this mux, then the bits per station reduce.

They can use smoke & mirrors to give more bits to the parts of the audio that need it but there is only a finite amount of bits to go around.

There are more modem codecs available such as the AAC family, but these are only available in the DAB 2 standard.

Where they have shot themselves in the foot is that the DAB standard is not compatible with the DAB 2 standard.

To make matters worse, OFCOM have allowed broadcasters to reduce their bitrates if they buy better MP2 encoders but unfortunately as the saying goes, "you can't polish a turd..excuse my French".

This is why listening to the radio stations online is best because they can avail themselves of the best codecs and bitrates; FM is the second best; and then DAB & Freeview come in a lazy third.

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/radio-tuners/77-knowledge-/192-dab.html

http://www.techradar.com/news/car-tech/why-dab-radio-in-the-uk-is-broken-and-how-to-fix-it-1217586

http://jonathan.rawle.org/2015/02/08/classic-fm-comes-to-freeview-in-glorious-mono/

hongkongpom, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: I am a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technican and skilled in the troubleshooting of computer problems