Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

There seems to be no power going to my tower and it won't start

There seems to be no power going to my tower and it won't start up !!!! Lenovo pc Type 2561
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
Does it show any sign of power at all? Look at the back with it plugged in, the back of the power supply should have a small LED is that on?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No there's nothing like that at the back. I used it last on Friday. I nipped out the office and came back an hour later. It was in sleep mode but was not responding. I had to turn it off at the wall. It wouldn't start back up after that. Then after a bit of fiddling about with the connections it started up again. Stayed on for about an hour or so then turned off again. Came in this morning and wouldn't start up.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Unplug it from all cables inlcuding the mouse etd. Hold down the power button for about 10 seconds. Then plug in only the power cable and p0ress the power button. Does it do anything?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing at all.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok next you would want to try a different power cable and see if the same thing happens.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tried that Freddy. Power supply is good !!!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
The power supply is not the power cable they are two different things and it sounds like you may have blown yours. However can you tell me why you think it is good?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry Freddy. I switched the cables from the monitor and the tower. Both cables powered up the monitor but not the tower

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok that means the cable is good. The power suppply is the part you plug it into on the tower. Does the small LED light up with either cable? If you see no LED at all hold down the power button and see if the fan inside the power supply even tries to turn. How old is the computer? Do you happen to have a warranty on it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There's no led light lightning up or fan trying to start. Computer was bought September 2012. So not that old. No warranty either.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Unfortunately what you are describing is being caused by 1 of 3 things. The power button itself which is unlikely unless it is damaged. The motherboard or the power supply. Since it does not do anything at all it is more likely to be the power supply than the motherboard. The part you can get for around £15- £25 usually. The only way to find out for sure if it is the power supply or motherboard is to try another power supply. A technician would normally charge an hours labour for this + parts. The labour rate depends on the shop. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Lenovo.
.