Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My kindle will not recharge. The battery symbol says "off"

My kindle will not recharge. The battery symbol says "off" next to it
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.
Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.
Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle and check if it charges.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My Kindle is one of the first models. I held the slide button at the bottom of the Kindle to the right for 35 seconds and that has resulted in my Kindle being restarted and updated. However the problem persists. The battery symbol has an electric flash sign through it with OFF by it's side

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** the procedure correct
It is the internal battery that has faulted. You can replace these but as its the original Kindle, it is much more cheaper in the long run (as the battery only comes with a 3 month warranty) to purchase a replacement kindle. From my experience, on these models, its best to purchase a replacement Kindle. All your books are automatically transferred to the new Kindle when you set it up, so this will not be an issue.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.