Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

Good morning. I have a self-made problem on my MacBook Pro

Customer Question

Good morning. I have a self-made problem on my MacBook Pro (I must stress I am not very computer-literate!). When I retired last year my work email address (*****@******.***) was closed and so I created a new domestic (Google) account which I use exclusively (*****@******.***). However my old (closed) account continues to pop-up irregularly identifying itself as my main account and I have been unable to discover how to remove it. So last weekend I created a new iCloud account ([email protected] + Password = Letterbox 15). My idea was to make this my 'new' main account by replacing the defunct 'm.anderson@... etc. However, I have now confused things further with my original gmail account address (*****@******.***) by forgetting the numerical part of the Password ***** ??. In trying to rectify this (unsuccessfully) I have received a message from Google saying that this a/c has been blocked. I would be very grateful if you could advise how I may restore it again i.e *****@******.***. Thanks in anticipation of your assistance. ***** *****.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your email issues.
Are these problems appearing on your Mac Mail software, the ones with the postage stamp icon in the dock? Is it the software you use to access your various email accounts?
Please let me know so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jess, In answer to your question I am receiving my emails as 'Mail' through the postage-stamp software and nothing abnormal appears there. I have written the whole problem out - but it appears to be excessive in length to what you have received your end. Is there any way I can send you the full text to read?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,
Thank you for writing back with that information. I got your full text description of the problem but the problem is, all email addresses are shown to me as *********@******.*** for policy reasons.
Now, what I am trying to clarify is, what or where did you get the pop up about your closed account? Is it the Mail program (the postage icon)?
And also, are you now unable to access your Gmail i the Mail program because of the forgotten password?
Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Jess in answer to your questions:

1) The message came from Google itself (April 14 at 8.32am.

2) Yes I can't able to access my gmail a/c as a result of this action.

3) Regarding my old (redundant) email address closed down by the University in December. When I try and open some software this appears out of nowhere and I can go no further.

Hope this is useful. Regards, Michael

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,
Thank you for writing back with that information.
Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly assist you in fixing all these problems while you watch?
Remote access is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee ($10.99) regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Jess,

This sounds the best way forward - but as I have warned you ... I am not very computer literater!

Regards, Michael.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,
Thank you for writing back. Yes, I also believe that it is best for me to remotely access your computer since we can chat right there in your computer as I fix your issues. It will be a faster mode of help.
I will now send the formal additional service offer of remote access. Please accept it so that I can create our remote session. After accepting it, you will then receive the procedures to join me in the remote session.
Regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,
Thank you for accepting my additional service offer of remote access so that I can help you directly in fixing your problem. For me to remote in, we need a remote access tool. At this point, since you are using Mac, we can use Team Viewer.
Please follow the steps below:
1. Please click on this link:
http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/mac.aspx
2. In that page, please locate and download the tool listed under Additional Downloads labeled "For the instant customer: TeamViewer QuickSupport"
3. To download the remote access tool, you need to click on the Download button with the apple icon to start the download. (Do not just click on the image at the left.)
4. After downloading, RUN the tool and then give me the 9-digit ID and the password ***** that I can remote in. Also, DO NOT close the small team viewer window so that I can remote in.
I will wait for the 9-digit ID and the password ***** you reply so that I can connect to your computer.
Best regards,
Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,
How is it going? Were you able to download and run the remote access team viewer tool? If it is already running, please give me the 9-digit ID and the password. If you are stuck in any of the steps, please let me know, I am still here to help.
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Jess,

In the 'steps list' included in your message of today (08.57) I got as far as the point 'Team view quick support' - with the box providing the ID and Password. Then when I tried to acquire the remote access tool via clicking on the Download button, a small image flew rapidly from this point and disappeared at the top right of the screen. This happened repeatedly each time I re-tried. So consequently I haven't managed to do the download or RUN the tool so far. However, I have the 9 digit ID and password ***** you would like me to send them through to you?

Regards, Michael

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes Michael. Please tell me the 9-digit ID and the password ***** your team viewer box or window there.
Please post the ID with several spaces after every 3 digits, like 123 456 789.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Jess,

Sorry not to have replied sooner, but many thanks for your assistance in getting my '*****@******.***' account up and running again!

However, I still have the problem of my old University address (*****@******.***) popping-up when I try to open virtually any of the aps on my iPad Mini i.e. iTunes, FaceTime, Mail etc (but Skype is still OK). Also this fault no longer interferes when using my MacBook Pro - I guess because I have 'de-synced' the two machines?

Somehow, this old address needs to be removed so I can have my gMail and iCloud addresses accepted by the iPad. As I mentioned to you earlier, the University cut-off my '*****@******.***' account in December last year - how it survives is a real puzzle!

If you have any suggestions to fix this fault I would be very grateful.

Kind regards, Michael.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,
Thank you for writing back with that information and I am glad that the Gmail issue on your Mac is now resolved.
So I believe now that the persisting problem is no longer with your MacBook but with your iPad Mini, right?
You mentioned that you are getting the prompt for your old University email when using any software in your iPad Mini. But can you please tell me what exactly is the "wording" in the prompt? Is it asking you to SIGN IN to your iCloud account?
Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Jess,

In answer to your request for further information regarding the continuing problem that I am having with my iPad.

What happens when I press a key for particular software, for example, 'iMessages,' a box appears on the screen, which is divided into two (laterally):

The upper section contains my 'old' (defunct) University ID:-

*****@******.***

-------------------------------------------------------

The lower section requests me to enter my Password.

Unfortunately, when I was advised that this account was to be shut-down at the end of December, I disposed of my record of its password.

When I approached the IT people at the University regarding the problem that had arisen as a result of their shut-down action, they offered no solution.

The same screen message as above also appears when I press other iPad keys for programmes such as FaceTime, Podcastes and iTunes Store.

I hope I have been clear enough in describing this fault to you.

Kind regards,

Michael.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,
Thank you for writing back with that information. Please try to do these steps:
1. Tap Settings
2. Tap Mail
3. Do you see your OLD email account there that you want to delete? If you see it there, then try to delete it from there to stop it from prompting you for the password.
Now, if the password ***** is from your iCloud account, then please try to do these steps:
1. Tap Settings
2. Tap iCloud
3. Sign out from your account there
4. Then Sign back in.
Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Jess, 21.04.15

Following your latest advice:

I first tapped 'Settings' Then I tapped 'Mail, Contacts and Calendars' and on the right-hand side of the screen (at the top) appeared my two Accounts i.e. Gmail and iCloud.

So tapping Gmail first, a message appeared at the top of the screen saying - 'There is a problem accessing your account,' and asking me to re-enter the Password ***** *****@******.***. The normal Google 'sign-in box' then appeared with the Gmail (stoneglass) address already filled in.

When I entered this Password ***** tapped 'Sign-in' a new screen appeared saying:

iOS would like to ...

gView and manage my mail

gView my basic profile info

gManage my calendars

gManage my contacts

At this point, as there was no sign of my OLD University email account appearing, I stopped and returned to the 'Settings' screen and entered my iCloud Account. Thereupon, I was invited to 'Sign into iCloud' by entering the Apple ID Password ***** '*****@******.***.uk' rather than the current Password ***** this account (Letterbox15). However, as I advised you earlier, unfortunately I have disposed of my Password ***** this earlier (defunct) address and could proceed no further!

Hope the above helps you in your quest.

Kind regards,

Michael

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,
Thank you for writing back with that information and I am very sorry about your persisting issues. So the OLD university account is NOT listed among the accounts on your Mail. I believe it is listed an an iCloud account.
Please do the following:
1. Tap Settings
2. Tap iCloud
3. Sign out from your account there, the Sign Out button is found at the bottom part.
4. When prompted to sign out, please confirm by tapping Sign out or affirmative.
5. After signing out, sign in using your correct iCloud account.
Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Jess,

No success with your latest advice I am afraid! When I switch the iPad on the screen first displays all the installed aps. Then when I press 'Settings' a new screen appears divided vertically into two parts - the left is titled 'Settings' and the right is titled 'General'. When (as you instructed) I tap iCloud (under 'Settings') a box appears in the centre of the screen directing me to sign in using the Apple ID password ***** 'm.anderson @staffs.ac.uk'. However, now not having a record of this password ***** longer, I can't sign-in to carry out your further instructions. So everything still focuses on getting rid of [email protected] ac.uk' somehow!

Kind regards,

Michael

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Michael,

In that password ***** is the email address part not editable? I mean, to enter your new and working iCloud account, then the password?

If you are not allowed there to enter your new and working icloud account, then you need to first delete the existing iCloud account that is in use so that you can then use the new icloud account.

Please refer to the procedures from this link:
http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/19/how-to-delete-icloud-account-ios/

Also, please try the procedures in this video and see if it will work for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlTsUzXYrE4

This article also describes the entire process in details:

http://www.shoutpedia.com/delete-icloud-account-without-entering-password-selling-iphone/

Keep me posted.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Jess

In answer to your question, the email address: "*****@******.***" appears totally immovable or altering as described below!

I followed the procedure stipulated in the first address in your latest email viz. "How to Delete an iCloud Account ...... etc.

1. I located iCloud in the settings (with my University address below it).

2. Then I tapped 'Sign Out' (at bottom of page in red) on doing this a note appeared advising that I would loose all my Photo-Stream photos, but as I have nothing special saved I continued the Sign Out procedure.

3. Another note then appeared saying that any recent changes in Documents & Data would be lost. But I ignored this too and took the 'Delete from iPad' option.

4. A further note then appeared giving three further options regarding what I would like doing with the previously synced iPad data on the pad - and I opted for 'Keep it on my iPad'.

5. However, the next screen appeared demanding the Password ***** '*****@******.***' and it was completely immovable or part-changeable. Thus the same impasse again - confirmed by another screen-message advising me that my Apple ID or Password ***** incorrect!

Kind regards,

Michael

PS Is it possible that Apple in its file on me have a record of the last Password ***** I was using before the University cut me off? of December?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,
Thank you for writing back. Because in the last step you chose to save the data in your iPad, you were prompted for the password ***** the university account again. If you did not select that option and continued to delete the account, it should have been deleted.
Now, regarding the password, it is actually NOT the password ***** the university account. It must be the password ***** set for the iCloud account and it only happened that you registered the university email account as your username.
You can try to reset the forgotten password ***** your iCloud account. Please check the procedures in this link:
http://www.imore.com/how-reset-forgotten-icloud-itunes-or-app-store-password-iphone-or-ipad
Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Morning Jess,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I did what you instructed in your last communication i.e. when the THREE options appeared (under 'Turn Off Safari) I selected 'Delete from my iPad'. But just as before, the same message demanding the Password ***** '*****@******.***' appeared and could not be altered. So I am still unable to get rid of this old address or delete the current iCloud address in order to obtain a new one as you recommended.

As regards ***** ***** for the defunct 'University a/c' being associated with the setting up my iClouI address, I didn't acquire my iCloud address (*****@******.***) until 10th April - confirmed by a 'Welcome to iCloud Mail 'message - thus long after my University address had been shut down. So I think that the forgotten Password ***** ***** most likely to be associated with my earlier defunct University address.

Another curious thing is the strange behavior of my MacBook which has only very recently occurred (over the last few days). This is in regard to my gmail address (*****@******.***) which has mysteriously altered i.e. it should be and always has been -

'*****@******.***'

But it has now very recently become:

'*****@******.***'

I don't know how this has happened, but the worrying thing is that 'Letterbox13' was part of my earlier gmail Password, which I fortunately changed in the beginning of April.

To check the possible implications of this situation, I have recently sent an email to a friend using the above 'long' address' i.e. including Letterbox13 at the beginning. She has received it, but the sender's name title (***** *****) has been replaced on her print-out by the title 'Letterbox13'. I am pretty sure that I have not done anything independently on the MacBook which could have brought this about, since we have been in contact. Your advice concerning how I can get back my old MacBook address and why this should have happened would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Michael

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,
Can I remotely access your Mac so that I can check and fix this Gmail issues of yours?
Please let me know.
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jess,

You are most welcome to access my Mac. What do you want me to do this end?

Kind Regards, Michael

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Michael,
Thank you for your permission for remote access so that I can help you directly in fixing your problem. For me to remote in, we need a remote access tool. At this point, since you are using Mac, we can use Team Viewer.
Please click on this link:
In that page, please locate and download the tool listed under Additional Downloads labeled "For the instant customer: TeamViewer QuickSupport"
After downloading, RUN the tool and then give me the 9-digit ID and the password ***** that I can remote in. Also, DO NOT close the small team viewer window so that I can remote in.
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Jess,

As you instructed I clicked on the link - http://.teamviewer .... etc. ....

The next screen that appears is titled 'TeamViwer Download for Mac which I scrolled down until I located the option - Additional downloads for the Instant customer, team viewer Quick Support.

Below this was the Apple symbol and to the right of it the label - Download v10.0.41401. Clicking on this nothing much happened apart from (something) flashing (very fast) from left to right across the screen each time I pressed the key.

Regards, Michael

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,
Thank you for writing back with that information. Are you still able to download anything online? The download procedures that I gave you were just typical steps to download. If indeed the tool was already downloaded, please locate the downloaded file and double click on it to run or open it.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jess,

I have got the panel on the left of the screen 'open' and it has the following information that you need:

Your ID - 123 456 789

Your Password ***** 1234

Below this is a green button saying - Ready to connect (secure connection).

I have left this page open on my Mac and not closed the small team viewer window as you instructed.

Kind regards ***** *****

PS I am sorry that I am so poorly literate regarding the inner workings of computers. which must make your task even more difficult.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,
I am very sorry but I believe that you just opened the picture or thumbnail or screen shot of the team viewer quick support tool. Please click on the download button with the Apple icon and then download the DMG file. Then run it and the ID and password ***** you will get will be different.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Jess,

I am afraid I have been away for a while. However, now back. Regarding the need to get the tool you require I have tried again and will go through the actions taken.

Firstly, using the <http://www.teamviewer.com.en.download.mac.aspx> I got the page viz. 'TeamViewer download for Mac. Ignoring the 'TeamViewer full version' at the top of the page I scrolled down to the next section - 'Additional downloads for the Instant Customer, Team Viewer Quick Support'. The contents of this was listed as below :

Simple and small customer module, runs immediately without installation and does not require administrative rights - optimized for instant support.

Below this roughly in the center was the Apple Logo and to the right of it, the label - Download v10.0.41401. As before, clicking on it, nothing happened apart from (something) flashing (very fast) from left to right across the screen each time I pressed the key.

To double-check I tried all the buttons nearby but had no more success

Best regards, Michael

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,
I am very sorry about the persisting issue with team viewer. Please check this screen shot:
http://filesxpress.com/d-37a26430
That should be the button that you need to click to DOWNLOAD the remote access tool. I was asking you, if you are able to download files online normally because this download procedure should be the same when downloading any files only.
However, in this case, the file to be downloaded is a DMG file.
When clicking on the button, you shall be prompted to download and save the file. I am using Google Chrome browser and it looks like this:
http://filesxpress.com/d-d2a81eda
Now, you need to remember where you saved the file, it can be in your Documents folder or on your desktop screen, just remember that the name of the file is "TeamViewerQS.dmg"
When you can find that downloaded file, double click on it to run. That is the time that you will get a unique ID and password.
Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jess,

Using the below address takes me exactly where we were this morning i.e ready to down-load v10.0.41404 but it would not open! Again now by highlighting the below address accompanied by the RED ARROW - it is just the same i.e. it will not activate!

So do I proceed on to the next stage you have directing me to or wait for your comment

?

In reply to your next question - I can download most files without any difficulty. But I am not familiar with DMG files.

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://filesxpress.com/d-d2a81eda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Evening Jess,

Will you please be kind enough to tell me how I can get to the right place in order to complain about my e-mail address modification. I am loosing some valuable incoming mail and at the moment this is my top priority! I have done nothing with this address (*****@******.***) to cause this to happen and urgently need to get it put right.

Also I go away early next Tuesday morning and won't be back until late on 19th May. I am sorry that my inability to understand what you are doing for me is slowing everything down. I hadn't realised what it all involved!

Best regards,

Michael

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Michael,

Since you mentioned that you are using MAC, the executable file, it is also called a program, has the .dmg file extension. In Microsoft Windows, the extension is .exe.

Have you tried to locate the file named "TeamViewerQS.dmg" or "TeamViewerQS" in your downloads folder to see if you have already downloaded it?

If you find it, double click on it to runt he quick support tool. If you cannot find it, then I believe the file was not downloaded.

In this case, let us try another remote access tool, this time we will use JOIN.ME. Please click on this link:

https://www.join.me/

In that page, click on the green arrow in the section that says "start meeting", then you will be asked to download the tool. Here is the screen shot:
http://filesxpress.com/d-26263b3a

Run the downloaded file and then give me the 9-digit code that you will see at the top of the small JOIN.ME window that opens.

Then give me the 9-digit code so that I can connect to your Mac.

Keep me posted.
Jess