Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I RECENTLY ADDED LOLLIPOP SOFTWARE TO MY GALAXY S4. NOW I CAN'T

Customer Question

I RECENTLY ADDED LOLLIPOP SOFTWARE TO MY GALAXY S4. NOW I CAN`T ACCESS MY TXT MESSAGES, ALL I CAN SEE IS THE 1ST FEW WORDS WHEN THEIR NAME COMES UP. I USED TO HAVE A BLACK SCREEN AND WHEN I RECEIVED A TXT, AN ORANGE SYMBOL SHOWED AGAINST THEIR NAME.NOW ITS A WHITE BACKGROUND.CAN YOU HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM? I WENT TO VODAFONE SHOP BUT HAD NO LUCK.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
The white screen is the new format for this update.
First, have you restarted the phone? Hold the power button down until the phone powers off, then power on the phone and tell me if the text messages now appear correctly.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

JUST THE SAME.turned power off and on.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you go to Settings, Applications
Look under ALL for Messages.
Press on it and press Clear CACHE (NOT Clear Data)
Then try to open a text message.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

went to settings but couldn`t find applications,

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Check under More on the right and you will see it as either Applications or Applications Manager
Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have got applications manager but it hasn`t got all or messages among it.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
When you press it look at the top, you will see downloaded, you swipe to the left to go through the lists and you will then get to all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have done all that, cleared cache but still unable to open txt

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you receive a new text, are you able to open that one Graham?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no and I can`t read ones i`ve sent either...

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, do you have Kies installed on your computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well i was trying to do that last night but not sure if it downloaded r not?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Do you see it installed on the computer Graham?
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no i can`t find it Richard

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, download it and install it from my link below
http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/
Then run it and connect the phone to the computer.
Perform a complete backup and when done, disconnect the phone.
Then on the phone go to Settings, Accounts, Backup and Reset, Factory Data reset
Let this complete and the phone is return to new (still with Lollipop installed)
Then connect it to the computer again and restore the backup from Kies.
You should then be able to view the Text messages.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

had so many problems....backed up everything on laptop but will only restore certain catergories.Lost all my music that cost me hundreds of £s, lost all messages, ringtones, contacts etc It just won`t restore them.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure it actually backed them up?
It would have said success when doing this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when i clicked on restore it ticked them all so I presumed they were all saved.When I reconnected phone it ticked some of them but put xs against most of them? When I started phone up I put in my samsung account via facebook.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, are text messages now opening?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

they`ve all gone along with my phone no.s

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, hence why you did the backup. Try to restore it again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its got better but i keep losing screen

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I dont understand, what do you mean with you keep losing screen Graham?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its got better but i keep losing screen.....keeps going to my photos and I can`t get back to you.Have lost all my music but messages came back and I can see them, also contacts.so its working ok.My songs were under play music, I used to download them about 99p a song.That was an expensive mistake....thanks for your time and help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i don`t think you got my last message? I`ve lost all my music that cost me 99p a song or about £7 album...everything. Must run into a couple of hundred pounds...so annoying.The good news is that most of the other things are restored, contacts, txts...which I can now read. Thanks for your help and your time Richard.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Graham,
where did you purchase the music from? I am sure we can redownload it.