Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My kindle has frozen and I am now getting a message 'Your Kindle

My kindle has frozen and I am now getting a message 'Your Kindle Needs Repair'. What do I do next?
Margaret Holroyd
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.
Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button to off for 60 seconds (40 is too short).
Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No result, screen message frozen and unchanged

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Margaret
How old is the Kindle and which model is it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think it's a Kindle White and it's nearly a year old

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, the Kindle does need to be replaced, they cannot repair this model.
If its less then a year though Margaret, you are in luck as it is still under warranty.
In an hour (so at 9am) call 0800(###) ###-####
You can then organise a replacement under warranty as the Kindle has completly failed and will need replacement sorry.
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've found its serial number,

B00AA010460BK6

is this any use?

I need a replacement very urgently, where can I get a new Kindle within hours in Oxford, UK?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You will need the serial number when calling.
I don't have a list of stores in Oxford as I only deal with online purchases, but the warranty replacement will take some time, , but in the meantime, you can read your books on another device and I can tell you how.
What are you now talking to me on? Windows computer, iPad?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm talking to you on a lenovo computer. I do have a Kobo ereader somewhere on the house which I've never used but have no idea if Kindle content is transferable or how to transfer it.

M

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No its not, but you can read the Kindle content on this computer.
Download the free reader from my link below
http://tinyurl.com/n4wuacv
run and install it then register it with the same Amazon account as on the Kindle and you can read the books on the computer until you get the replacement Kindle.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Don't think this will be very helpful as can't be at this desk while reading, I need to be on the move. Also have just checked and Kindle in fact nearly two years old, dates from July 2013, so out of warranty. I urgently need a device I can use in transit and transfer existing content to it so will see if I can buy one over the counter in town today.
M

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, two years is out of warranty sorry, but when you get your new one, it will automatically move your books to it Margaret.
Most electronic stores stock this, even an iPad can work as well as it has the Kindle App, or any Android Tablet. Does not have to be a Kindle.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. Have located a bookstore with them in stock so will do that. I prefer a Kindle to an iPad,so will get the same again.

Thanks for your help.

margaret

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your most welcome Margaret, was just highlighting your options.
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry