Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

The GPS on my Sony Tablet SGPT114GB/S has stopped working.

The GPS on my Sony Tablet SGPT114GB/S has stopped working. I use the Tablet with marine charts, so not having GPS makes it useless. This happened about a month ago. Can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Are you getting a specific error message when you enable the GPS on the Tablet?
If so, what error is this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard,

There is no specific error message, it's just not working.

If I go to Location Services, there are three options;

Google's location service.

GPS satelites.

Location and Google search.

All three are ticked. If I then go to a map, down on the bottom margin there is a circle with a flashing dot. If I then click on that, it says, "Searching for GPS".

At home here, with wifi, I am getting a position marked on the map, but it's not a GPS position, and I need a GPS position for using charts on a boat.

Thanks for getting back to me,

Norman.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Norman
Go to Settings, Applications Manager.
Look under the list ALL for Google Services Framework.
Press it and press Clear Data.
Once done, restart the Tablet and tell me if the GPS is now working please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard,

Is that the same as Settings, Apps, Account Manager?

It has a "Clear Data" option, but I don't want to do that without confirmation.

Norman.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, it can change onsome firmware versions.
It will be Settings, Apps
As long as you see
GOOGLE SERVICES FRAMEWORK in Apps, under the list ALL then you can press on it and press clear data.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've got to "Google Services Framework" version 4.0.4-390215.

I don't see ALL anywhere, but there is

Force stop,

Disable,

Clear data.

Do I click on Clear Data?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes please
Then restart and check if the GPS now works please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Closed down, restarted, but still no GPS.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Norman
We will then have to Factory Reset the Tablet.
This is going to remove all data and return the Tablet to new, but we cannot avoid this sorry.
First, you need to backup any data you want to keep. Apps you will have to install again.
Then go to Settings, Privacy, Factory Data Reset or Settings, Storage, Factory Data Reset depending on your firmware.
Complete the reset and when it has, the Tablet is returned to new.
Then setup the Tablet again and check if GPS is now working.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again Richard,

I've backed up all data, and done the Factory Data Reset. The GPS now seems to be working. If I now restore all the previous data, which I backed up on my PC, will it import the previous problem with the GPS?

Norman.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No it wont Normal as you can't back up the corruption (its system related).
Feel free to put all your data back, will be ok.
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard,

It's not that I've forgotten about you, it's just that so far I haven't been able to get back all my back-up stuff into the Tablet, so I'm still not sure if it's working properly.

I will get back to you.

Norman.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No problem Norman.
The system will send you automatic emails, but know you can ignore them and let me know when you have all your stuff back on the Tablet please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Richard,

Thanks for your patient help. All is back to normal, and the GPS is working.

Kind regards,

Norman.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Perfect Norman
All corruption is now removed so you will be ok.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry