Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Consultant
Experience:  Over 20 years experience with Apple/Windows desktop publishing, design, troubleshooting
25267123

I have a MacBook Pro, about 6 yrs old, showing a blue screen.

I have a MacBook Pro, about 6 yrs old, showing a blue screen. I think this is HD failure? The HD is a Seagate 250gb, I want to replace it with a much larger HD. What is available for this laptop, and how do I get the Apple OS loaded? I wonder if an apple store can do this? I am certain I can buy a Seagate HD quite cheaply, I can easily install it, but no idea what is compatible with an Apple computer.
Regards,
Paul Albright
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 2 years ago.
Any 2.5 inch SATA hard drive will work an SSD would give you the fastest speed. You would need to install and format using your system install disk that came with your computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I bought the laptop second hand, just as an Apple spare to our main Microsoft computers, for typical Apple media reasons and we have iphones and ipads. I don't have a system install disk. Is a blue screen proof of HD failure?

Paul

Not necessarlly. Does it have a removable battery on the back?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well, the battery appears removable in that it is held in place with 2 Y screws. I have not removed it because I do not have the Y shape but I am sure I can if needed.

No that is one that is not meant to be removed by the user try this:

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys and immediately hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo. This is called Safe Boot and it will attempt repairs. If you get to the login screen put in your user/pass then when it boots up, restart the normal way. Let me know what happens after.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My mistake, it has a white screen with a folder with a question mark in it when switched on. I will try safe mode, but can you tell me what the Option key is? What is Command Option P R keys?

Paul

That Resets the SMC & PRAM on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own. Basically internal memory. Folder with question usually means the hard drive has failed so you will have to replace it.