James Dwyer
James Dwyer, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  15 years professional technical experience. IT Consultancy Owner
22586229

I have a Samsung 4TB D3 Station hard-drive. It's working fine,

Customer Question

I have a Samsung 4TB D3 Station hard-drive. It's working fine, but when I use the Samsung Drive Manager it won't open the Secretzone section. It recognises its there, but when I click on Connect, the panel blinks but doesn't proceed as normal to the password ***** None of the other icons work either. I can see the .msr encryted file.
Category: Computer
Expert:  James Dwyer replied 2 years ago.
The first bit of data I have been able to gleen from the samsung engineers repository is "Secretzone" does not function on external drive that do not support power settings.
does your device support power settings?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My disk does not support power settings, but it DOES work with Secretzone. I've had it working from new until a day or so ago when the odd behaviour started, maybe after a power-cut which led to an irregular closedown of this partition. (The Samsung Drive Manager recognises whether the disk supports power settings and when it doesn't that icon is removed from the dashboard). My first concern was either hardware damage or corruption of the file system or the actual secretzone encrypted files. I tried various restarts etc with no result and then reinstalled the Drive Manager Software which didn't solve it either. But I tried a clean install on my laptop and that showed the disk and secretzone files were all OK. I have now fixed the problem myself after realising that uninstalling the Drive Manager software did not remove registry entries. Once I located these entries (referenced as Clarus, not Samsung) and removed them, a reinstall worked OK and all is now back to normal.

Thanks for your interest in helping. How do I close down this request?

***** *****

you will need to contact management from the contact us on the front page to get your deposit back, sorry we couldnt fix it in time
James