Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Consultant
Experience:  Over 20 years experience with Apple/Windows desktop publishing, design, troubleshooting
25267123

I have just downloaded an update to an app on my iMac, approx

I have just downloaded an update to an app on my iMac, approx 5 years old.
It will not boot up and turns off a minute or so into the 'boot up' sequence.
This happend a few weeks ago when I was able to wipe the hard drive and resore from the back up drive, now i have no access to the computer to attemp this.
Can you talk through this or are you only on line?
What is your charge for your service?
On results??
Nigel Garbutt
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 2 years ago.
Did you restore from a Time Machine backup?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
From an attached GoFlex seagate drive supplied by apple. Comp worked fine for weeks after this. N
Ok I can't be sure how that was done but if all was ok until now: Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process when you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots eventually you will see the OS X Utilities screen., select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column, if there are two or it is named something else choose the first indented item, and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
'Disk needs to be repaired'
Have clicked 'repair disc'
'disc uility can't repair disc'
says reformat and restore - again!
I was afraid of that you have to erase the drive and restore from your backup. Do you know how to do that again?
I can give you instructions....
Please let me know soon because I have to sign off in a bit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes show me what to do please
Reboot with the backup drive connected and hold the Option key until you see a list of boot partitions. Choose the Backup drive. You will get to a Utilities screen choose Disk Utility / Continue... choose the Macintosh HD the main drive on the left and Erase on the right, click on Erase. Quit Disk Utility and select Restore from backup. Follow the prompts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can I erase from the erase option on the current 'OS X Base System' screen?
This has happend twice can I do anything to make drive more reliable? Replace??
Thanks n
Yes you can... then you can reinstall and restore or just restore. If there are no hardware errors it sound like the drive is ok just make sure you check it with Disk Utility every once in a while especially after a crash or freeze. Those are just directory errors but they can become serious. If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above or I don't get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Doesnt work 'couln't unmount disc'
Will try your way
Remind me, what is the option key? n
The key two to the left of the Space Bar. Please let me know tomorrow I have to sign off for tonight, sorry.