Russell H.
Russell H., Computer System Tech
Experience:  11 years experience
13568747

I have a kindle fire and can't connect to WiFi..My wifi connection

Customer Question

I have a kindle fire and can't connect to WiFi..My wifi connection is 0n. It worked when I was connected to a slow internet connection but now I am connected to a faster HiFi connection. My second kindle works OK. Both use the same password ***** router. It tells me itg is authenticating my WIFI site then tells me it is not authenticating I can't get find out to check that the password ***** the first kindle is correct
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.Check whether your Kindle that cannot connect, is less modern than the one that can.When you speak of 'faster HiFi', do you mean a Wireless-N router or connection?Your Kindle that cannot connect, may not be able to use Wireless-N routers. It may be limited to Wireless-G or Wireless-B connections and devices. Wireless-N is more modern and more recently issued, and some devices may be unable to use it.Also I advise, that you try connecting to WiFi with your Kindle Fire in a public context... e.g. a library's wireless... or some other alternative, to see if it is the connection or the router, or whether it might be your Kindle Fire itself that has a problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answer, my 'faster HiFi is the connection and Wireless-N router. My computer which is older than my Kindle and yet connects to the faster HiFI. Is their anywhere I can enquire wither my Kindle which is only a year and half old will connect to new router?

I will try and connect Kindle in a public place.

What about the other Kindle, that does connect to your Wireless-N ? what is its model, and how long ago did you buy it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My original kindle I bought it 2012 supports WEP,WPA WPA2 and 80211a, 11b, 11g . My latest kindle is a 6" white screen bought three weeks ago and is working OK.

No opportunity yet to try original kindle in a public place.

With spec.s like that the original Kindle should work with almost any WiFi encryption scheme except perhaps the most recent and elaborate.
It being three years old means, it could be either outdated and/or 'broken'. Try it in a library or similar locale - they don't encrypt their connections or use minimally complex encryption schemes, because they want to serve as many customers as possible. So that would be a good test of basic WiFi function.