Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

When I started up my computer. It's a H P Pavilion g6 2240sa,

When I started up my computer. It's a H P Pavilion g6 2240sa, it goes straight to smart hard disc error. The page then says The SMART hard disk check has detected an imminent failure. Run the hard disk test in system diagnostics.
Hard disk 1
F2 System diagnostic
ENTER - Continue startup up
For more informatioinfo visit www.hp.com\go\techcenter\start up
I then pressed the F2 key and was taken to HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI. I then ran the quick test and it got as far as the Hard Drive Smart check: failed. Giving me the failure ID and the product ID on hard drive one. I was then advised to visit the H P website and tag on / PCDiags and holiday then went back to the main menu and exited. I then
Tapped continue start up.it starts to load with the HP logo in the middlleft and the little circle spinning. But will not go further. If I then turn the laptop off and restart it again and I end up on the Smart hard disk error page change.if I presse the f2 button system diagnostics its the same as before, then if I pressed continue start up I am first greeted with preparing automatic repair and then a black screen with the HP logo and a messagcheque saying diagnosing your PC. But again it seems that as far as it goes. G have left it for nearly 2 hours and nothing. Just the black page with the HP logo and the same message diagnosing your PC.
It is starting to drive me insane and any pointers, idea, even a solution would be brilliant.. Thank you for taking the time to read my IT message and I hope that you can be a my computer wizard. Please if you can help me I will be forever grateful.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues with your HP laptop. Unfortunately, this is already a hardware failure, that is - the system detected that your Hard Disk Drive, the computer component where all your data are stored including the Microsoft Windows operating system, is faulty and is already failing. Therefore, your computer cannot continue to load Windows normally as the system cannot read the data from the Hard Disk Drive.
The only solution here is to replace the hard disk drive with a new one since faulty or failing hard disk drives are not repairable.
Do you have a recovery disks for your Hp computer?
Please let me know so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh dear, I thought as much. No I don't have recovery discs for my computer. I did back up all my files before this happened. They are on a cloud and I also wrote down the failure ID if that is any use. So what's the best and quickest way to resolve my hardware failure as I have took this week of work to spend time on my music, which I do' through my laptop. Why is nothing every straight forwarwad in things that I do. Can you show me what I need to do and the sooner the better jess. Cheers

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Richard,
Thank you for writing back with that information. Is this laptop already out of warranty? I am asking because the hard disk drive (HDD) needs to be replaced so it means that the laptop cover will be opened to remove the hard disk drive, and then look for a compatible replacement.
If this laptop is still covered with warranty, then you can bring the computer to the store where you bought it to have the HDD replaced without any fee as it will be covered by your warranty.
However, if this laptop is no longer covered by warranty, you still need to send the laptop to the HP service center or to the nearest computer center so that they can do the replacement of the laptop for you.
Otherwise, if you want to do the job yourself, you need to disassemble the laptop and then remove the HDD, look for the compatible HDD in the local computer store, and then buy it as a replacement. Then you need a set of recovery discs from HP since you will use them to restore your Windows Operating System to your brand new Hard Disk Drive.
Lastly, I highly recommend bringing the laptop to your nearest HP service center so that they can do all the steps for you including the selection of compatible hard disk drives and the required set of recovery discs.
I hope that helped.
Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!
If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Jess. I sort of already had guessed that those would be the 2 options open to me.I was just hoping that maybe there was another way, that would be quick and hopefully I could of been up and runningoing again in the morning.. so Jess what do estimate having this work done will cost me as I checked with HP and yes my warranty is now out of date. I don' a lot of music on my computer, recording, mixing ect. Do you know if I was to inveinvest in a new laptop, are there ones out there that would work well with my music mixing and recording. That's my last reply I hope you can answer it and again thank you although you could not resolve the problems on my lap top you were able to point me in the right direction. G think maybe the hard drive could no handle of mixing, playing, recording for many hours at a time. any idea on a good quality laptop reasonably priced that would be able to and maybe better suited to what I need.

Richard aka Two - Tricky.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Richard,
Thank you for writing back with that information and unfortunately, the quickest way to resolve your HP issues is to bring the laptop to the nearest HP service center. This is the quickest method since they all have the spare parts that you required.
As to the quickest time range that this is done, unfortunately, this depends on the actual bulk or work orders of the HP service center that you bring the laptop to.
Regarding the buying of the new laptop, please tell me your budget so that I can specify the best laptop or desktop that fits your budget.
Keep me posted.
Jess