Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have reinstalled Windows XP Home edition from the Windows

I have reinstalled Windows XP Home edition from the Windows XP disc. I have arrived at C:\Windows> hitting return merely gives me the same C:\Windows>. How can I get windows to open? What do I need to do/enter?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
That is the command prompt. Type in
shutdown -r
Press enter which restarts the computer and tell me please what then happens.
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This did not shutdown the computer - I typed it in once in lower case and the second time in upper case . In each case the -r was lower case should I try upper case

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It does not matter Robert, it should have shut down the computer.
Hold the power button until the computer powers off, then power it on again and tell me what happens please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It takes me to the original problem I had. Namely that there are two options that come up as Standard both are called Default.

The first Default states " Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll

Please re-install a copy of the above file"

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
And this happened straight after reinstalling Windows xp?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No Richard,

Somehow I had got my computer in a mess. Before all this started I had had some technical support from XP (maybe two years ago) , which resulted in me having two partitions one said Default and the WindowsXP - After the help I used default and it always opened Windows then it came up with the hal.dll missing. In trying to resolve the othe also became Default. So I put my licensed Windows CD and arrived at the C:\Windows and then came to contact you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think you may have had this already but just found this box asking for info so filled it in

"No Richard,

Somehow I had got my computer in a mess. Before all this started I had had some technical support from XP (maybe two years ago) , which resulted in me having two partitions one said Default and the WindowsXP - After the help I used default and it always opened Windows then it came up with the hal.dll missing. In trying to resolve the othe also became Default. So I put my licensed Windows CD and arrived at the C:\Windows and then came to contact you."

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, put the XP disk in the computer
Then restart the computer and keep tapping any key until the Disk loads and the windows xp install begins.
Follow the steps onscreen and perform a Repair of the XP installation which should then replace the hal.dll file to correct this.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard,

When I first re-inserted the XP CD I pressed F12 and selected booting from the CD. It the went through the whole Loading arrived at Welcome to set up where I have arrived again. I did try "To repair a Windows XP Installation using Recovery Console, press R this did not work should I try and do it again or use "To set up Windows XP now press ENTER" , which is how I arrived at the starting point of this q& A please advise

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
How exactly did it not work Robert?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard I could not remember bso hit the R Then it asked me which installation showing me the two Defaults so I chose the first and it went to start Windows and then cut out with a quick flash of blue screen and too fast to read but I saw a lot of 00000 in it -not sure how many then started to reboot and on selecting the same "Default" option get the no hal.dll exactly as before in this exchange of information

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is starting to look like your hard disk is failing Robert.
Repeat the procedure and try to get me the exact error number please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard,

I have tried many times to catch the blue screen but cannot. This wasa new disk about 2 years ago and had AVG on it. I have just gone through the process of using and booting from XP disc and it is asking whether I want to use a C: Partition1 (NTFS) (10245 MB) < 9515 MB free or D: Partition2(Local Disk) FAT32 8833 MB <87773 MB Free>

Which should I do?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, this is the installation, choose C drive.
Then tell me what happens please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This took me to the original position namely C:\WINDOWS>: which each time hitting return gives me exactly the same but now there are two lines

C:\WINDOWS>:

C:\WINDOWS>:

Which is where we started.

At some time I had BOOTCFG was missing but presumably re-installing XP resolves such an issue but if it does not God knows how to install that when hal.dll seem impossible -I am assuming re-loading XP solves the hal problem too.

Shall I try the FAT option for XP installation

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it is pointing to either a faulty hard disk or motherboard, as you would always be able to do a reinstallation.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have started this process. It takes a bit of time probably 20 mins or so is that OK

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thats ok Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have loaded Windows to a D: Partition (which is the FAT32) option but when Machine tries to reboot it only show the two Default installations -The D: is there somewhere but how do I find it?

I really appreciate your help but am beginning to feel I am exploiting you so you need to tell me how to resolve that when we finish.

I think we may run out of time as I have to collect my Grand Kids from school and need to leave here at 1400 hrs (is now 1340 hrs UK time) Are you UK?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I am in the netherlands, so one hour ahead
I wanted you but to install on C drive, not D
Can you do this when you are back please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard,

I have already installed on the C:\ drive but it is not visible on start up.

So is this a question of some routine to see each drive and get it situated so it can be activated.

I have to go now as explained Parents do not takeover until after 7pm so what do we do?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, try each drive to see if it works on one of these please.
You can return later and do this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK Thanks -gone now do not reply but have left this on

Thanks Richard

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Richard

Still struggling with this

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert,
Can you give me more detail please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have loaded Windows again via the windows CD and now have C:\ WINDOWS , which is option 1 AND D: \ WINDOWS which is option 2 so I have elected for option 2 and option 1 says hal.dll needs reloading and whilts I have hal.dll which I down loaded on to a USB hard drive there is, seemingly, no way to get it from the USB storage device into the computer. So I have used option 2. This then asks for "Enter Load identifier: -I have no idea what value to enter

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its the hard drive or motherboard that is failing sorry Robert, likely the hard drive. You would need to take it into a computer store and have a hardware diagnostics performed on it so they can identified which part has faulted and have this replaced sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Richard

Over and out -what do I need to do to close out with you -presumably as I did the the rating of my satisfaction there is nothing to do although I cannot see you could have done more.

Robert

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Nothing further needed thank you Robert
All the best