Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

I am completely desperate I have been told my account has been

Customer Question

I am completely desperate I have been told my account has been closed and as I am unable to name my favorite football team or my x-box registration number (I don't even know what one is) they are doing it for my security. I have information I need but also e-mails sent to my account are not being pinged back so presumably it is not actually closed
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I take it that an email account of yours is the subject of your question.

I take it that you got a message (somehow - but how?) that it has been closed.

So far you have proceeded intelligently enough. But there is one thing you must check on first: Was the notice that you got, some sort of pop-up window? if so, it may have been a 'phishing scam' or phony popup. These are malicious little windows that tell you bad news, then ask you for personal information. So with that in mind, I have to first ask,
- How did you get the message that your account 'is closed' ?
- &, what sort of window popup or other appearance, produced that message, at what point or after you did or tried to do what operation on your computer?

These are crucial questions... since you yourself seem to have some doubt about your account actually being closed.

If you don't mind, I need to also know, what 'domain name' is your email address or email service provider... e.g. hotmail.com, aol.com, mail.com, gmail.com etc. ?

(Please do not state your full email address. That is information I do not need. And the JustAnswer.com system may edit out anything that looks like an email address entirely, so that I won't get the domain name / service provider information I need.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

6thMay Microsoft account security alert we think that someone else might have accessed the microsoft account (user name) when this happens we require you to verify your identity with a security challenge and then change your password ***** next time you sign in.

If someone else has access to your account, they have your password ***** might be trying to access your personal information or send junk e-mail

If you haven't already recovered your account, we can help you do it now.

We then followed directions but have been told repeatedly that we have not supplied sufficient information it is a hotmail.com account

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, it's hotmail, then. Hotmail is an old and traditional service... and well-ripened in its security measures.But tell me, and this is urgent: In what form did the message alerting you arrive? And, What is the URL that message directed you to, please? copy the URL off the resultant page when you click the link, rather than the URL off the message (it might differ!)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It came in to my in box the only reason that I am able to provide you an accurate account is that the last dozen or so e-mails can still be viewed on my husbands i-pad but deleted or sent e-mails are not available

Not sure quite what it is you require but we pressed the recover account bar which took us to login.live.com/microsoftcorporation this is when we were told it was the incorrect password, which is the only password ***** have ever had

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Then someone has changed your password, I would guess. So far, it does sound somewhat legitimate, as notices go. And you cannot answer the backup questions? the security or verification questions? Did you ever set any such questions, as to specific values in answer ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't recall setting up any thing specific. I don't have a favorite football team but we did put in my husband's to see if it made any difference. They asked for all the different passwords we had used on the account and we have only had one. They also asked for the registration number of my x-box and the credit card we paid for it with not sure I even know what an x-box is and certainly have never owned one. There were none of the usual mother's maiden name, first school etc. The account is at least 12 years old and probably has nothing on it that is of any use to anyone else

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Then I have no further advice to offer, I'm sorry to say. I have Opted Out, in case another Expert might be able to help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

please confirm that I will not be charged for this

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
For concerns of that sort, I cannot help you. For issues with regard to billing, payments, charges, or subscription terms, I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

They ought to respond to your concern with reasonable promptness.