Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Consultant
Experience:  Over 20 years experience with Apple/Windows desktop publishing, design, troubleshooting
25267123

Getting error on all programmes like outlook, excell The

getting error on all programmes like outlook, excell
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142).
Are you on Mac or Windows?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

windows 8

A recent update could correct the startup issue you are experiencing with your Office applications:Install the latest Windows updates to your computer.Restart your computer.Try to launch your Office application.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i dont see that there are any updates needed.

this just suddenly stopped working today

OK then it is Windows 8.1 correct? Starting the application in Safe Mode is a great way to find out if the problem is caused by and add-in. To do this, go to your Start screen in Windows 8, Type excel /safe and press Enter to start Excel. Let me know what happens
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes 8.1.

I get the same error when running excel / safe

Do you know how to startup in Safe Mode?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes - I have previously tried starting in safe mode and opening outlook and it still doesnt work

What version of Office is it? Have you installed anything else recently?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

2013

no nothing new installed recently. it just stopped working this afternoon

OK then remove all traces of the Office installation by downloading the fixit from the following article:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501saving it to your computer and then running it.Then reinstall Office by logging into www.office.com/myaccount with your registered email address and click Install Office.