Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

My Aspire S3-391 does not shut down- command shut down

Customer Question

My Aspire S3-391 does not shut down- command shut down is switching every thing accept hard drive and I have to use on/off button turn off laptop. All other power function a working OK. Can you help?
Roman
Category: Computer
Expert:  dresteve2000 replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question!So does reboot work normally? More then likely this is an issue with a corrupt registry entry or a corrupt OS. What version of Windows are you using on your Acer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Windows 8.1 Pro

Reboot work fine. Only shut down is possible with power button press-hard shut down.

I using IE and Google.

Everything on my Aspire S3-391 is working accept command

"Shut Down".

1. If you are on new Start Screen, type power and Windows will automatically search for the term and will show you the results.If you are on Desktop, move your cursor to top-right corner of screen to access new Charms Bar. Now click on Search option and type power in search box.2. Now click on Settings link given in right-sidebar of search results page and then click on "Change what the power buttons do" 3. It'll open Power Options window. Now scroll down to bottom and you'll see "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" option given in Shutdown settings section4. Disable the option by unchecking the checkbox and then click on "Save Changes" button.PS: If the option is not shown or greyed out, scroll up and click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable" link.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have done that and now "Turn on fast start-up (recommended)" is not listed. That I have tried about 3 days ago and does not work at all.

When I use restart the sequence is correct according to my other laptops.

I understandIf the above solution doesn't fix your problem, you can try to execute following command in Command Prompt. Open Command Prompt as Administrator by right-click on the bottom-left corner and select the same option from the Win+X menu:bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the "bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes" does not work. Could you please send me revers command for last one "bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes".

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick no
So in this case there might be something preventing your computer from shutting down completely or could be a registry issue as I had mentioned before. So you still have the Win 8 disc for your computer so you can attempt a repair?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had repaired windows,

and reinstalled my windows 8.1 pro

with command "recimg /createimage C:\CustomRefreshImages\Image1" so all my programs and files were safely restored.

As I did many other things which are available on the internet.

I do suspect that must be something wrong with BIOS and as no upgrade is available for my model I can't repair.

I understand...many issues come with the 8.0 to 8.1 transition that i've seen
I don't think you have a BIOS issue though..it's more likely involved with the windows installation
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

On power.exe I have found strings GUID which are responsible for many function. I did not found string responsible for shut down of the computer. Maybe the problem is there.

It might be..but kind of risky to adjust windows files like that without knowing for sure...might be more clean to just do a fresh install and install the programs again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I did reinstalled windows with no results and that was a pain. Please let me know if you are really the Expert with Aspire S3-391 and know how to create GUID String to Shut Down computer.

Sorry..I don't know how to create GUID strings to shut the computer down. I will opt out now to allow another expert the opportunity to help you. Best of luck.
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Please open command prompt and type in the following string

powercfg /h off (there is a space between /h and off)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did as you ask then restart computer and after system reboot shut down computer.

No change accrued everything switched off but light remain on power switch and I can hire working computer fan. No change accoutred.

Also I have run command powercfg /Q to see if any change accoutred.

Could you please let me know how to copy displayed results from command prompt.

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Would you be okay with a screen sharing session where I can connect to your computer to fix the issue? I am sendnig you the additional services offer. Please accept it and I will provide you with the steps to start the session.