arsufi2002
arsufi2002, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MCSE, RHCE, IBM System X Server Certified
50085326

When I'm typing the cursor jumps

When I'm typing the cursor jumps around and I find that the words have been inserted several lines back. I don't know if this is a laptop problem or what - it is happening whilst I'm typing this. Since I am a touch typist I don't tend to look at the screen while typing. Any help would be much appreciated. I am using a Samsung laptop but I am not sure of the model. Mandy XXXXXX

Category: Computer
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

This issue is usually caused by the laptops touch pad.

Some models have a very sensitive touch pad so when you type it picks up on your hands and causes the cursor to jump around.

Not to worry though, I am going to give you an excellent free utility that will correct the problem.

Just go to the following link and click the blue downloads section link to start the download. Install the utility and it should correct the issue. Here is the link:

http://code.google.com/p/touchfreeze/downloads/list

Once you get to the page click on the link that says TouchFreeze-1.1.0.msi to start your download. Make sure after you download it you allow it to run so you can install it. You may need to double click on the TouchFreeze-1.1.0.msi file to start installation.

Once it is installed it will solve the problem of the jumping cursor by automatically disabling the touchpad as you type.

If you need further help please do not hesitate to reply back and let me know.

Thank You

-Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry but I am not happy with this reply - I am very experienced and I can assure you that it has nothing to do with me touching the touchpad. I have trawled the internet and seen that other people with the same problem have had it sorted by downloading drivers. I am not tech savvy and so did not want to risk trying that. I thought I would get a reasonable answer rather than one blaming my typing!

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
I am not blaming your typing I am blaming the touch pads sensitivity. I have helped hundreds of people with the same issue and this free utility usually fixes the issue permanently in a couple of seconds. But if you do not want to take my advice that is fine. I will opt out of the question and see if someone else has any ideas for you.-Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not at all happy - I am not touching the touchpad at all. But the cursor is still jumping about. It therefore has nothing to do with the sensitivity of the touchpad.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Yes I fully understand, the touch pad can still pick up on your palm even if it is not touching it directly and the utility I gave you would fix that but it is up to you if you want to listen to me or not.

I am opting out now so if someone else has a solution for you that is different than mine you will be alerted.

Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have to say I'm very disappointed. How do I know if anyone else is going to reply?

Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** of the expert in computer category, i would like to assist you with your issue and would be your next active expert Would you answer to my queries...1: What version of Windows you have on machine?(windows 7 / 8)2: Is it 32bit/64bit3: Do you think the cursor jump even if you don't touch keypad?4: Do you have the issue initially or just started up? Please find procedure to find answer for step 1 and 21: Click Start > on search type dxdiag press enter key It open Windows Directx Diagnostic window where you can get information under "system information" sectionYou may also find system model from there. please reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Fiyaz

The answers to your questions are:

Windows 7

64 bit

The cursor jumps even if I don't touch the keypad

It has started recently

I hope you can help

Mandy

Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****, Thanks for your replyThis really seems to be a hardware issue since The cursor jumps even if you don't touch the keypad.But we need to confirm, for that, could you arrange a USB mouse. If you have one please do as below1: Connect USB Mouse to machine2: Open Device Manager (Click Start > type devmgmt.msc press enter on search window)3: Expand Mice and other pointing devices There you can see two devices 1: Touchpad and USB mouseRight Click TouchPad > click DisableNow check Cursor jumps after that and update the status here. Waiting for reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks very much - that has worked.

Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Mandy :)Please let me know if you have further query..If you are satisfied, would you please spend a bit time to rate my service. You may click smiley face to rate meThanks and Have a great day..Fiyaz
arsufi2002, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: MCSE, RHCE, IBM System X Server Certified