Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have Windows 8 but cannot update it

I have Windows 8 but cannot
update it
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
To clarify, are you referring to windows updates? And what is the error that you receive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes error code80072EF3 I have also lost the sound. Is this part of the same problem?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Likely seperate problems Trevor
Can you press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (admin)
Type
netsh winhttp reset proxy
at the command prompt, and press Enter.
Then try to perform the update again.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did try this and whereas the update response came up with the same error code I mislaid the response box and appear to have now paid twice whilst trying to find it.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi Trevor,
I saw your second question and have closed it so you will be refunded for that one.
Can you do the following please
Press the windows key + R
Type in MSCONFIG and press enter.
Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"
Then click Disable All
Click ok, restart and let me know if you can then perform the updates.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No joy. The update gave the same response and code errer

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Press the windows key + D so your at the desktop
Right click the time and select Adjust Date and Time and make sure the date and time is correct and the time zone is set to the UK.
then save this, restart and try to update.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The date , time and timezone were correct and the update gave the same response

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, do the following please
Download CC Cleaner (free) from here
CC Cleaner
(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)
Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.
Once done, restart the computer
Than press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (admin)
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then restart and try to update.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

opened command prompt and sfc/scannow. "you have to be an administrator.....

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes you clicked on Command Prompt
you have to click on
Command Prompt (admin)
In the list please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Igo a response "chdsk is not recognised.....

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thats not the command I gave you to use Trevor.
Please, this wont work unless you are carefully following my instructions else we are just wasting each others time.
So we are going to back up. What were the results of the SFC /scannow scan, did you run it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I typed in chdsk/r and got the response 'chdsk is not ....etc.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Trevor, are you reading my messages?
Ill repeat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my apologies for mistyping chkdsk.

now I have a response'chkdsk cannot run becaus the volume is in use by another process. would you...........

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Trevor, until you are prepared to take the time and actually read my messages to you completly, we wont be able to proceed. Your not reading my messages and hence I can't get you to do what is needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My apologies again .

I thought that I had followed instructions exactly but mistyped chkdsk initially.

I did load cc cleaner and scanned the registry as requested.

I then continued as instructed

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Trevor,
I'll AGAIN repeat my message I have been repeating over and over to you for the last hour that you seem to avoid answering.
What were the results of the SFC /scannow scan, did you run it?
If you dont want to answer it for whatever reason just say and ill stop the support as there is no point continuing. But it would be respectful if you would stop ignoring the question..... I don't wish to just keep repeating this same message.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think that we are not getting very far and I need a rest and so will stop now.

Is it possible to resume later?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok Trevor, when you return I really need you please to take the time and review and correctly do the instructions I have given you. It is critical for fixing this problem.
I have marked the question to never expire, so you can return at any time.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry