Pete
Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

Firefox applications

Customer Question

Firefox applications
Category: Computer
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Could you please explain the question in more detail?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Certainly. The last update of Firefox contained bugs. None of my download software would work. I completely uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled a previous version 3.8 that worked fine. I use Aimersoft Video converter Ultimate for downloads from Youtube etc and to convert downloads to avi format. I use uTorrent to download. Since the reinstallment Firefox asks to to select an application. I have tried all permutations to make this choice permanent but the same small sreen pops up all the time. It's not a major problem because there is only one choice available. I double click on that and the application starts. I want to fin out how to make this choice permanent .

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi John,
You can change this in the Firefox Options page -
select the Applications panel and then select the type of file for which you want to change the default action. The Action column will give you a drop-down menu, with options on action to take, whenever you click that type of file.
You just need to disable the "Always Ask" option.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have done that but the same things happen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you sort this out by remote tomorrow ? ie it is 10.30pm here in the UK

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I am in the UK too.
I will be available after 5pm tomorrow if that suits?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Fine Pete. I'll log on @ 5.00pm.

Many thanks.....

John

ps.......I have disabled updates in Firefox.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I will connect via Teamviewer if you have it.
If not, you can go to www.teamviewer.com and click the green Download button, then download and install the Teamviewer program.
Tomorrow, let me know the ID number and password ***** that I can connect to you remotely and share your screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Pete

I think I have solved the problem. I again un-installed Firefox and re-installed version 3.4.

This works fine (so far) without the annoying pop ups.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, great!
Let me know if you need anything else at all...
Have a great weekend :)
Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Pete

Mozilla have admitted that there are bugs in the latest version of Firefox that disable some third party software, Aimersoft and Realworks being but two.

There answer is to completely remove Firefox by using an uninstaller (I used Wise) as the Mircosoft version still left some residue. I then installed a clean version of Firefox 3.4.

This works perfectly and all annoying pop ups have gone.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear you got it sorted!
Best,
Pete.
Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi John!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Let me know,
Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. Yes everything is fine now. Many thanks.