IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I've downloaded a plug in named Silverlight to my Mac, and

I've downloaded a plug in named Silverlight to my Mac, and have tried to install it. To do this i'm being asked for an id, which I have assumed is my Apple id. I've tried this and it doesn't work. What other id could they want?
Category: Computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

When installing new programs onto your Mac computer, sometimes a prompt is shown asking for user name and password. Usually, user name is ***** ***** (shown), but the password ***** is empty.

When you see such prompt, you are asked to confirm your Mac user name and password, not your Apple ID.

If your Mac account is password-protected, you need to type the password. If it isn't, just leave the password ***** empty and click OK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does that mean the apple id password? If so, that's the one I've used. If not what password ***** they be requesting?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
As I mentioned, your computer is asking for Mac user account name and Mac user account password - that is what you set up first time when you got your Mac computer.

If you need to type a password ***** starting your Mac computer, then you need to type the same password ***** the password ***** window.

However, if you don't have a password-protected account, then leave the boxes as they are and just click OK without typing anything and the installation should continue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've just tried leaving out the password, and that doesn't work either

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Are you required to type a password ***** powering your Mac computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How would I be able to access my Mac user account password? I do not use a password ***** starting up my mac, but I do notice that in the request for a p/w there is a 'lock' depicted.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
OK.

Please click Cancel on the password ***** window and close it. After that, run the Silverlight installer again and when you get to the same password ***** again, just click the Install Software button.

Let me know if that works.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. I've tried that a number of times, and all I get is a 'shimmering' of the p/w box

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
OK.

What is typed in the "Name" box?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

William Aubrey

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
When first creating a Mac user account, you are required to type a password ***** it. That password ***** ***** used when installing new programs and when trying to change some administrative options on the Mac computer.

Did you create the "William Aubrey" account or someone else created it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Honestly, I can't remember. If you are asking did I get a friend to create it, the answer his definitely 'no'.

How would I go about getting my Mac user account p/w directly from Apple?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
There is a way of resetting your Mac user account password ***** affecting any of the installed programs or your private documents.

Let me know the version number or version name of your Mac OS X and I will provide the instructions for you.

If you are not sure about that, you can click on the Apple logo located in the upper left corner and then on About This Mac. There you will see the version number of Mac OS X.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OSX Version 10.9.5

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information!

Here are the instructions on what to do in order to reset the current password ***** your "William Aubrey" account:

1. Completely power off your Mac computer

2. Wait for about 10 seconds and then power it back on

3. Immediately press and hold down the Command and R keys on the keyboard

4. When you hear the startup sound, release those keys

5. A new window will soon appear named "OS X Utilities" - don't select any option there, but instead, click on Utilities located at the top, and then click on Terminal

6. When the white Terminal window opens, type resetpassword and press Enter

7. A new window will appear named "Reset Password" - there click on your hard disk (volume) which is usually named Macintosh HD

8. For "Select the user account", select your Mac user account (William Aubrey), and then type a new password ***** the boxes below

9. Click Save and the password ***** be reset. You can now restart your Mac computer

10. Use your new password ***** install new programs such as Silverlight

If you prefer, you can watch video instructions on how to reset the password ***** click on this link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ6AZMk2cy0

I hope this helps!

Regards,
IT Miro
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your efforts Miro. Sorry it's taken so long on the (to me) a not straightforward subject. I'll follow your instructions to see if they work.

Best regards, *****

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
I am glad I could help!

If you ever need any other assistance, you can always request me on this link:

http://www.justanswer.co.uk/computer/expert-it-miro

Regards,
IT Miro