Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I had my J6920DW set up printing but I couldn't

I had my J6920DW set up for wireless printing but I couldn't register the scanner. I've installed the Brother Utilities programme and now nothing prints. I can't find a way of turning off the WIFI. Can you suggest something?
Ray Starkey
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
First, is the printer connected via a cable or wifi?
And what error do you get when it fails to print?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The printer is connected by a USB cable and the blue WiFi symbol is 'On' on the control panel of the printer.

When I print, I can see the document in the queue but nothing gets printed.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you on your computer click start, devices and printers.
Right click on the printer and select printer properties
Then click on the ports Tab and select USB
Once done, tell me if it now printers please
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I couldn't find any reference to USB but I did find the trouble-shooter and this reported fixing the USB problem. The printer now prints using Brother Printer MFC-J6920DW (Copy 2). I really need to delete copy 1 as it seems to be the default even though I have deleted it from here:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Devices and Printers

Ray

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, right click on Copy 1 and then select remove device.
That will remove it Ray
You then can right click the correct one and select Set as default.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen or smiley faces, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I forgot to say that I had deleted copy 1 from the Devices and Printers folder but it still shows up in MS Word as printer option (along with copy 2)

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Restart the computer and tell me if after the restart it is still showing please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, it's still there. I have two screen shots in a Word document but when I paste them into the reply section I get 'too many characters'.

Can I email them to you in a PDF?

Ray

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its ok, I saw the attachment Raymond, thanks
Can you close word
Then download and run this file please
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9763243
Once you have run it, restart the computer and tell me if you still have the problem.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I downloaded the file but when I ran it I got this message...

Microsoft Fix-It does not apply to your operating system or application version.

Ray

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Which version of windows and word are you using Ray?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Win 8.1 and Office 2013

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you use this file instead then please
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9828782
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I ran it - see below. It seems to have reset Word so that I had to specify document formats but the two pronters still show up.

Ray

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, first go to Devices and Printers again.
Right click on the printer and select remove so it does not appear at all anymore.
Tell me when you have please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Removed the printer so that there are no printer devices showing. When I open Word and try to print there are no printers showing.

Ray

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Good, now install the printer on the computer and it should now only appear once Ray
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, one icon installed. Printer works!

Many thanks.

Ray

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Great! We just needed to get all the entries sorted out. Will be ok now
Was absolutely a pleasure working with you Ray.
Hope to do it again in the future.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry