Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My pc has been running very slowly, which explains why I am

My pc has been running very slowly, which explains why I am asking all these questions today! What do I need to do to check what the problem is? It is an ACER Aspire Z5771 with 6GB RAM, Intel Core i5 2400S CPU @2.5Ghz. I have used 501GB of 923 GB on the C drive and still have 923GB on the D drive free. Is there something I can run to diagnose the problem or clean it up? I am happy to pay for software to do this if you recommend the best solution. Thanks.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Everything can be done without bying software, all that software is scams.
Which version of windows is it running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think it's XP but where can I check this?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Click start, do you see computer or My Computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ah yes found it under Computer - it's Windows 7 Home Premium v6.1

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
We need to rule out corruption as causing this so we will need to do the following first please
Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then test and tell me please if performance has improved.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do I need to close all my browsers down first eg firefox to do this?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes please, all programs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It didn't come up with the NTFS message you mentioned, when I followed your instructions and clicked enter, it scanned the system and came up with the message:

Verification 100% complete

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\CBS\CBS.Log

C:\Windows\system32>

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
thats the first step, you need to move onto the next step in my instructions
type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've run as you asked, I don't think there is much difference in the performance, it feels almost like it freezes for a few seconds every minute or two.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, Click Start, type in MSCONFIG and press enter.
Click on the Startup Tab and click Disable All.
Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"
Then click Disable All
Click ok, restart and let me know if it now improves
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it does seem a bit better now but I haven't had much time to test. If it is still a bit slow, is there anything else I can do?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
The next step is a reinstall of windows, its the only one left as we have done all possible repairs to speed it up
We can do that just let me know if you want to
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not sure about reinstalling Windows, does that mean I lose everything?

It is definitely better but still a bit slow at times, not at all as frequently as before. I can hear the whirring sound when it slows down, like the pc is doing something.

Is it a problem with the pc?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes it will mean that
We would only know if the PC is an issue after a reinstall of windows.
But usually its just windows loaded with too much which always happens over time. I always do a reinstall at least once every 6 months to keep it running optimally.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, thanks. I will see how I get on now as it is definitely better.

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.