Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I have been locked out of my hotmail account. My phone got

Customer Question

I have been locked out of my hotmail account. My phone got stolen about a month ago and I tried to change my password ***** my hotmail but it locked me out, I have tried various ways to get back in but nothing works as I don't have a phone to send the code to and it won't allow me access with security questions. Can you please help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Are you using a computer to access your Hotmail account?
Please let me know so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I am using an iPad at the moment
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Beth,
Thank you for writing back. Where do you access this locked Hotmail account MOST of the times? Is it with a computer or with the iPad?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am travelling around South America so I access it is different places. It was on my phone until it got stolen and then I got locked out of my email so I haven't accessed it for over a month but before that it was on computers in Internet cafes
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Beth,
Thank you for writing back with that information. Since you are travelling a lot, it is highly recommended that you keep your email account (Hotmail or other email accounts) updated when it comes to the security information. The main reason for this is because most email providers (Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc) will VERIFY your identity when you attempt to access it from a DIFFERENT country where you first created the account.
In the case of your Hotmail, the very first option left for you, since you cannot reset the password ***** the code is sent to the stolen phone, is to answer the Hotmail questionnaire. What happened? Did you receive a notification from Hotmail that the information you provided is INSUFFICIENT to verify your account?
Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I filled in the questionnaire with the secret password ***** other info but they emailed my mums account saying there was not enough information, I have tried numerous times. It asks for subjects of sent items and emails of sent items but I don't know them as I have been locked out for so long
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Beth,
I am very sorry about your Hotmail problems. Unfortunately, you need to VERIFY your ownership of the locked account before Hotmail can allow you to SET a new password ***** it. And their verification process is asking you to enter information from the account like the EXACT subjects of the emails and the recently contacted contacts.
The most difficult part of the process is, the recovery form that you submitted is AUTOMATICALLY checked by the Hotmail system WITHOUT any human intervention. So if the subjects that you enter DID NOT match to the actual subjects of the emails in your account, the process will simply fail.
Your last option here is to contact a Hotmail administrator since he or she is a real human being that can actually check your account. You can then ask to provide other forms of verification to prove that you own the account. However, it is better done with a computer, not the iPad.
Do you have a computer now so that I can assist you in the recovery process?
Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I can go and find an Internet cafe and use that but it is all in spanish and confusing
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Oh....Is there any computer in English there that you can find? Or do you want me to just provide you the procedures in order to contact a Hotmail administrator?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes could you please give me those details and I will try that as nothing else has worked from a computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok Beth. Since you will be using an iPad, the procedure will need 2 browsers so that you will not be confused.
Can you please check if you have 2 web browsers in your iPad available? One could be Safari and the other Firefox?
Please check and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I only have safari and it won't let me download another for some reason. I can try and find an Internet cafe but like I said its in Spanish and you can't change that until you're in your email account which I can't get into
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok Beth, please give me a moment as I type the procedures for you. You can do it in your iPad or in a PC in an internet cafe. I hope you understand Spanish :-)
I will get back to you with the detailed procedures.
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** do it from the iPad
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Beth,
Thank you for patiently waiting.
First, the very first rule in order to contact a Hotmail moderator is to be currently SIGNED IN to a Hotmail account. So since your Hotmail account is locked for recovery, you need to CREATE a new Hotmail account for recovery purposes. So please do not be confused with this new account -- it will be blank -- no emails and contacts as compared to the old one that is locked.
Here is how to create a NEW Hotmail account.
With a web browser, go to http://hotmail.com
In the sign in page, scroll to the bottom and then click the "Signup now" link.
In the Signup page, enter the required information. In this NEW Hotmail account, please make sure that you enter your recovery information like your alternate email address and your mobile number. If you have an existing email address now that is still working, please make sure to add it to the new Hotmail account as alternate email address for security and easy account recovery purposes.
When the NEW Hotmail account is intact, you are ready to proceed in contacting the Hotmail administrator.
How to Contact Hotmail Admin/Moderator
1. Make sure that you are still SIGNED IN to your new Hotmail account.
2. In the same web browser where you signed in to the new Hotmail, open a new tab or window.
3. In that new tab or window, copy and paste this link to the URL:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=259772
4. You shall be redirected to the FORM to contact the moderator. If you are NOT redirected but shown the sign in page instead, please SIGN IN to your NEW hotmail account.
5. Give it a moment to load and you shall get the form. Fill out the required information and in the description box, type your story as to how you use your hotmail and how you lost it. The goal here is to PROVE to the admin that you are the owner of the account that you are trying to recover.
6. Then give it at least 24 hours for the progress of the recovery. Monitor your NEW Hotmail account for the feedback regarding the recovery.
I hope that helped.
Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!
If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess